What is this brand? How old is it?

rathead80

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
So Earlier today i purchased on impulse and Impulse Powerlite 800cx.
Like what was its:
Price
Software
What it could run
was it worth 5$ CAD?

I mean if not it still means I have an intel 486 for less than what it would cost for one off ebay. I am missing the power cable. wondering where i can pick one up for cheap.

e9ZJ4ee

877FJ2Z

Solution
It is a 25 year old laptop. 1990 or so.
Software? Maybe Windows 3.1.

You have a $5 museum piece. That does not work because you have no power cord for it.
I would have given you a similar one for free.

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
From its appearance, it's probably from the early 1990s - I've got a Toshiba one that looks very similar (may even be the same OEM system) from around that time somewhere in the store-room.

If it's from roughly the same time, and was mid-market rather than top-of-the-range, it's most likely a 486 at 25-33MHz, probably with 4MB RAM. Hard disk - probably around 80-120MB. The screen is most likely a monochrome STN, 640x480. Colour ones did exist but were a) horrendously expensive and b) almost unusable because the LCD response time was so slow. (I remember using a laptop with a colour DSTN screen in around 1999-2000 and the windows used to "fade in" when you opened a program, not because of some kind of visual effects but because the panel had a 450ms response time! Watching a movie on VideoCD was impossible.)

You could run Windows 3.1 and set up some old-school programs like WordStar for Windows (I spent many hours using it for homework and remain to be convinced that the latest version of Office really does anything extra that I need which I couldn't do just as easily on WSWin) to get the nostalgia going :) (I've still got the installation disks for all that old software somewhere - I ought to see if they're still readable and archive them for posterity!)