What is this called

Kruck

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
I'm trying to search for options, and I don't seem to have the terminology right. Access point? Extender? Repeater?

I have a wireless router at the center of my house. I have cat5e hardwired throughout the house. I want to connect something that will essentially be a new broadcast point for the same network (my base router) so I don't have to switch networks on my devices as I walk around the house. So, what do you call something that takes a hardwire source (cat5e) from an existing wireless router, and just broadcasts the same network?
Thank you!

Solution
That would be a wireless access point, Lan port on your router cabled to the lan port on the access point that then broadcasts your wireless network in another location. If you think you are going to seamlessly move between one source of wireless to another you will need to invest in a pretty expensive setup including a wireless controller.
That would be a wireless access point, Lan port on your router cabled to the lan port on the access point that then broadcasts your wireless network in another location. If you think you are going to seamlessly move between one source of wireless to another you will need to invest in a pretty expensive setup including a wireless controller.

Solution