Question What is this connector?

Mar 29, 2021
Hi all - I am working on a very old machine (Antec) for somebody. PSU has gone so looking to replace. However, the 24-pin Motherboard connector has another 3-wire connector coming out of it. From tracing it, I think it runs to an LED panel that is on the front (it's really odd... has like a chrome-brushed effect front with a big volume knob type thing, almost like the front of a music centre!).

But anyway (!) - if I am right, will I need to replace the PSU with exactly the same? I've not seen this before where wires come off the main board connection... Is there a converter I could get to power this part some other way?

Images here:

https://ibb.co/dfssmd5

https://ibb.co/bmMF28f

Mar 29, 2021
PSU: Antec EA-430. On checking with some sellers on ebay though they say their model of the PSU doesn't have that wire.

Board is: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H.

However, that power supply goes to this LCD type panel on the front of the device.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
If the conector is necacery, you will have to splice the cables on a new psu but that will void the waranty. I think that is only for the case.

What is the make and model of the case?
Is it for fan display and voltage?

Mar 29, 2021
Thanks for the follow-up Dorsai... what do you mean by clip on connectors?

Mar 29, 2021
Ah... saw your edit.. Thanks. I've not used those before... how exactly do they work?

EDIT: Looking at the guide on some listings I found seems it grips tightly round the wire and has a pin that penetrates the copper. Then you do the same the other side and they connect together...

Will take a look! Thanks!

Assume though I'm not going to get a system with that kind of connector already on?

dorsai

Distinguished
There are some images you can look at on the link.

The short answer is you'd have to trim the lead off the old power supply. The connectors simply press onto the new wire...insert your lead end into the connector and then press it closed.

Mar 29, 2021
looking at it, could it not connect with a standard 3-pin connector to a 3-pin fan header instead?
Thanks for the reply.. I think the problem is it needs standby 5V so it has power even when the system is off. This enables then the InfraRed receiver to receive a 'turn on' command via remote control even when the machine is off. Powering when the machine is on is one thing, but it's that 'off but powered' state that I think is achieved by connecting the way it is...

ASK THE COMMUNITY