[SOLVED] What is this flat piece that comes with replacement AM4 CPU Sockets?

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
Just like the title says, is this particular piece just a "clip" that holds the whole assembly together (please see pic) below? I'm looking to purchase one soon since mine is broken. Thanks in advance.

Ruben

s-l1600.jpg

Solution
Just like the title says, is this particular piece just a "clip" that holds the whole assembly together (please see pic) below? I'm looking to purchase one soon since mine is broken. Thanks in advance.

Ruben

s-l1600.jpg
Socket protection, remove prior to CPU installation, keep it in case you have to return MB or sell it.

Ruben

s-l1600.jpg
The purpose of the piece is to aid in automated assembly.

The pick-and-place machine that installs it uses a manipulator arm with a small suction cup to pick up the part. It works well enough with IC's and other chips, but not a large socket like that with a bunch of holes in it.

Even a manual installer would use it with a vacuum pen...a small tool used to pick up parts for installation.
It's definitely a throw-away if not needed.

Reactions: Ru1984

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
The purpose of the piece is to aid in automated assembly.

The pick-and-place machine that installs it uses a manipulator arm with a small suction cup to pick up the part. It works well enough with IC's and other chips, but not a large socket like that with a bunch of holes in it.

Even a manual installer would use it with a vacuum pen...a small tool used to pick up parts for installation.
It's definitely a throw-away if not needed.

I appreciate the info.