What is this front panel connector?

laznit

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Im in the process of assembling a pc and what I assume is the power led connector for the front panel is different than the power switch, reset switch, and hdd status connectors. The latter three have these little black connectors like what is shown in my mobo documentation so I assume this is what is normal these days. But, the power led has a 4-pin molex connector but with only 2 of the pins while my mobo wants a connector like the other 3 have. I can see where the wire goes and Im pretty sure its the power led but why is it different? And, can someone tell me what the connector is called that the other 3 have and whether or not a local computer shop would stock something like that (just the connector, not a whole new front panel)?

Also, my mobo has a 2 pin connection for the power msg led within the front panel header and another 3 pin system power led header right next to the front panel header. Im under the impression they both do the same thing, does it matter which one I hook the power led up to? The documentation says they both do the same thing with regards to the system status being S0/S1/S3/S4/S5.

Thanks in advance. :)

If the connector looks like a 4 pin molex (even if it only has 2 pins), you plug that into the 4 pin molex power from the psu. That is usually the power connection for a fan, not an led. You shouldn't need any adapter for that.

As for the power msg led, I'm not sure what that is referring to. what kind of mobo do you have?

As to part 2, it sounds like you've got a Gigabyte, and yes both of those LED connectors are essentially identical. I always use the power one. Have you identified which of your connectors is the power switch, and which is the power LED? The power LED wires are often green and white, and may be on separate pins, not attached. That's because some mobos have those pins adjacent, and others have a space between them. Single pins can be attached individually regardless of the spacing.
As to part 1, your description isn't clear. A "molex" connector is a big 4-pin one, the same size as many hard drives and optical drives have (or used to have). It is for power; if it has only two wires, it is probably +12V for a front fan, or front panel display. Does your case have either of those? What case is it? A tiny 4-pin connector, with wires on the ends but not the middle, is typically a case speaker.

laznit

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Yes, it is a gigabyte mobo. There is no fan installed on the front of the case. The wires are are green and white though as mentioned in the 2nd reply. I can see where the wires go and they are hooked up to an led behind the power switch. So plugging the molex connector into the psu will make it light up when on and turn off when off (I know that's probably the dumbest question ever)? I'm not too worried about whether or not it blinks while sleeping.

Ok, what has been confusing is your reference to molex connectors. A "molex" (actually the company who made them) typically refers to the considerably larger power connector used by IDE HDD and optical drives. I suppose what you're describing would work, but I have never heard of that sort of arrangement. Usually the power LED plugs into two pins on the front panel connector, not directly into the PSU. There is usually nothing on a front panel that plugs into a PSU, unless it has a digital display. If you plug a LED directly into a PSU, whether 5v or 12v, unless it has a resistor in the circuit, it will sizzle and pop.
What case do you have?

I did have a sunbeam transformer case that had an led in the front that was powered by a molex (only had 2 pins inside the molex connector). The OP may have a similar accessory, and that may be the translation confusion It's probly a case accessory, not part of the front panel switch.