What is this (image) - is the board dead?

Peddeh

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
So, I just got my brand new Rampage IV Formula. I was just taking a lot at the board, when this caught my eye near the right memory slot. It looks like a scratch on the lane or something.
Can anyone make out what it is http://i.imgur.com/TQNYmK5.jpg

Is it now dead.. what are the chances?

I know for a fact I never caused this, before anyone starts. Unfortunately I can't test it until tomorrow, when my chip arrives (4930K)

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
is there copper showing? I can't really tell too much looking at the pic, but if you're really concerned about getting a scratched up board, I would call and request a replacement one as this is unacceptable for a company to send a scratched up board.

Peddeh

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
I couldn't even tell you if it's copper. I'm sorry for the picture, but that's the best I can get. I really have to zoom on my phone. From a distance, it looks like spec, can hardly see it. I only noticed it as I was having a thorough look at the chips etc with a flashlight.

I've notified the retailer of the discovery and sent them the above picture, but they've yet to respond.

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
when you put your nail up against it, is it a deep kind of scratch or does it protrude beyond the board like some kind of glue dripped off on the board? If there's no copper showing, it should work fine, but you'd never know unless you fire it up. Given that you bought the board new, however, and want to play it safe, might as well take advantage of it while you still can and get a replacement board for better peace of mind.