Question What is this noise my PSU is making?

Check every fan, Inside the power supply you mean?

Eliminate other fans in the system that you can see more clearly as suspect. Make sure no cables are touching the fan blades. If the bearing on a fan is failing it may let the fan wiggle and hit something but that's not very likely. If any fan blade in your system is touching something you should be able to tell by visual inspection. Action you take depends on what you find.

Steve101_

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
Eliminate other fans in the system that you can see more clearly as suspect. Make sure no cables are touching the fan blades. If the bearing on a fan is failing it may let the fan wiggle and hit something but that's not very likely. If any fan blade in your system is touching something you should be able to tell by visual inspection. Action you take depends on what you find.

I will take another look but i am 99% sure the noise is coming from inside the psu.
It sounds like an electrically noise, almost like a cricket...

There is definitely nothing touching any fans as that was my first thought.

If you're sure the sound is coming from the PSU, but not a fan blade, then there's not much you can do unless the PSU is under warranty. I can't see the entire model description in the video but it looks like an older Antec model that could be due for replacement soon anyways. I think they came out around 10 years ago. Is yours about that old?

Darken the room and look thru the exhaust grill to see any signs of electrical arcing. If you see any you may consider replacing the unit especially if it's getting old.

Last edited:

Steve101_

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
If you're sure the sound is coming from the PSU, but not a fan blade, then there's not much you can do unless the PSU is under warranty. I can't see the entire model description in the video but it looks like an older Antec model that could be due for replacement soon anyways. I think they came out around 10 years ago. Is yours about that old?

Darken the room and look thru the exhaust grill to see any signs of electrical arcing. If you see any you may consider replacing the unit especially if it's getting old.

Yeah, it is one of the original parts from my first build lol.
I believe it will be 7 years old in december, so yes probably needs replacing by now lol.

I had a quick look and want a fully modular, i was wondering however do you think i need another 750w, or will i be good for a 650 EVGA gold or something along those lines?

Current spec is
4690k with a freezer pro rev 7
Gigabyte Z97p board.
RTX 2070
16gb ram 4x4gb
2x 240gb ssd
1x 1tb HDD
Standard Cd/DVD drive.

The plan is to upgrade to a 9600k with 16gb of 3000mhz ram on an MSI MPG z390 gaming edge mobo though.

Any suggestions?