Sep 25, 2022

System:
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B550M-A (WIFI)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060Ti
PSU: EVGA 600W 80+ gold
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
RAM: GSKILL Tridentz 16gb x2 DDR4 3000

The sound started about 1 week ago (machine is about 2 years old and all components were new when assembled).
It is not constant - it comes and goes, but I don't know what the triggers are
It seems to be coming from the top half of the machine around the CPU/RAM
Increasing GPU utilization causes it to stop, but increasing CPU, RAM, or disk usage does not
It starts about 30 min after starting up the machine
I have stopped the case, CPU, GPU, and PSU fans while the sound is present, but stopping the fans does not get rid of the noise

Any advice would be appreciated.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Have you done anything to source where the coil whine is? If it's happening at higher loads, that's a sure sign of the PSU. Assuming you posted information about your PSU correctly -- you left out the model -- the only 600W EVGA PSUs that are Gold-rated are the GQ and GD, both middling PSUs with cheaper topologies that are far more likely to have coil whine because of the hard switching required for the quickly changing GPU loads.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Sep 25, 2022
Have you done anything to source where the coil whine is? If it's happening at higher loads, that's a sure sign of the PSU. Assuming you posted information about your PSU correctly -- you left out the model -- the only 600W EVGA PSUs that are Gold-rated are the GQ and GD, both middling PSUs with cheaper topologies that are far more likely to have coil whine because of the hard switching required for the quickly changing GPU loads.
I believe the PSU is a GD, but it seems like the noise does not change when load is increased on the CPU, disk, or RAM, but goes away entirely when load on GPU is increased. I haven't tested each component individually, since I don't have a test rig, but I can say that it comes from around where the CPU is located.