Question What is this strange high frequency vibration noise coming from my pc?

Apr 27, 2023
Hi all, I recently got a pre built gaming pc from Cyberpower UK. The pc is performing fantastic and I'm happy with the performance. However, I have a really irritating problem with a weird sort of high frequency noise coming from in the case somewhere. It's really hard to pint point exactly where.

The noise does not get any louder when under heavy load, it just simply persists from boot up. It's not the gpu, as it still makes the noise when the gpu fans aren't spinning, and not the PSU because the same goes for that.

I will link a couple of videos, one temporary solution was putting weight on top of the case that seemed to suppress the noise some what. But now I have loosened the top fan radiator screws the noise has got really quiet but can still be heard when sat at certain angles and when putting my ear to the top of the case.

The manufacturer have suggested trying to switch the AIO plug from cpu_fan1 to cpu_fan2/wp. I will try this tomorrow.

View: https://imgur.com/a/pxzSwKZ

View: https://imgur.com/a/MyeO4jv

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Specs for reference: 11900kf, Asrock z590 Pro, msi mag core liquid 240, Lian Li 011 Air Mini

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Could be fan bearing but sounds more like a PSU/GPU coil whine.

To test fan bearing, stop the case fans and look if the sound goes away.

Also, put your ear to your PC and make sure to locate the exact spot from where the noise is coming from.

But now I have loosened the top fan radiator screws the noise has got really quiet but can still be heard when sat at certain angles and when putting my ear to the top of the case.

This would indicate vibration noise, but vibration noise usually isn't high-pitched hum.

Apr 27, 2023
Could be fan bearing but sounds more like a PSU/GPU coil whine.

To test fan bearing, stop the case fans and look if the sound goes away.

Also, put your ear to your PC and make sure to locate the exact spot from where the noise is coming from.

This would indicate vibration noise, but vibration noise usually isn't high-pitched hum.
I doubt it's gpu/PSU coil whine as the sound persists even when they are not active. I also tested the fans by stopping them one by one but the noise still persists.
I'm also thinking it's vibration as moving the radiator around lessens and increases the sound of the volume.

The sound seems to just come from somewhere in the pc and the radiator, it's really hard to pin point exactly where.

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
That sounds like a pump without enough water to me.
Maybe there is an airbubble right at the waterpump?
try unscrewing the radiator and hold it in a way that all potential airbubbles move away from the pump.

what happens if you press on that plate from the integrated pump in the radiator?
does the sound go away?

Thanks Mem!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt it's gpu/PSU coil whine as the sound persists even when they are not active.
If they are powered on, they can produce coil whine.

The sound seems to just come from somewhere in the pc and the radiator, it's really hard to pin point exactly where.

Could be AIO pump as well. Either because there is water supply issue (air bubble in the tube) or the pump bearing itself is bad.

Reactions: helper800
Apr 27, 2023
If they are powered on, they can produce coil whine.

Could be AIO pump as well. Either because there is water supply issue (air bubble in the tube) or the pump bearing itself is bad.
Never knew that. However I think I found the solution, I plugged the AIO into the cpu_fan2/wp header instead of cpu_fan1 header and it seems to have solved the problem. My pc would make a quick weird 'zzzzz' noise (similar to an old ps2 disk getting jammed) when I first turned the pc on and the noise would persist after that, but now it doesn't do that anymore. For reference, this is a week old pre build with brand new parts. However I am satisfied now, but am curious as to whether I have received a faulty AIO? Again I am grateful for the response

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I plugged the AIO into the cpu_fan2/wp header instead of cpu_fan1 header

Issue could've been with the varying speed the AIO pump runs. AIO pumps are designed to run 100% at all times, but CPU_FAN1 header, usually, varies the fan (or AIO pump) speed based on CPU temps. And some bearings will produce audible noise in certain RPM range (could be bearing defect or inherit nature of the bearing).