[SOLVED] What is this white stuff in the GPU Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2021
Bought a 6700xt last month then decided to clean my pc. While dusting I saw this in my GPU heat sink fins ( View: http://imgur.com/gallery/ETiWDVx
) Can someone tell me what is that white stuff?
Cant scrape it off easily. Should I return the product?
clh5tMc.jpg

1rtScWv.jpg

Solution
it's dust. if the fans are easily removable you can use a vacuum brush extension to easily clean.
may want to work on getting some filters in place for any case intake.
Jun 12, 2021
Tried cleaning the fins with a q tip and 99 % isoprophyl alcohol but only some of them are being wiped.

Its somewhat powdery and I am afraid It might be a sign of corrosion. I live in a tropical country but not near the ocean or bodies of water.

Should I return the product for RMA?

Jun 12, 2021
Looks like normal dust accumulation to me. If it's really bothering you, you can blow it out with compressed air or use a soft bristle toothbrush to get out anything that refuses to be blown out.

Tried cleaning the fins with a q tip and 99 % isoprophyl alcohol but only some of them are being wiped.

Its somewhat powdery and I am afraid It might be a sign of corrosion. I live in a tropical country but not near the ocean or bodies of water.

Jun 12, 2021
Looks like normal dust accumulation to me. If it's really bothering you, you can blow it out with compressed air or use a soft bristle toothbrush to get out anything that refuses to be blown out.

Jun 12, 2021
Looks like dust that's just clinging for dear life. You can probably get a cotton swap with rubbing alcohol to clean it up.

Jun 12, 2021
it's dust. if the fans are easily removable you can use a vacuum brush extension to easily clean.
may want to work on getting some filters in place for any case intake.

if you go through the RMA process and it does turn out to be just dust from your own environment;
depending on PowerColor warranty services, you may get charged for shipping to get your card back.
can turn out to be quite a bit of money.
I am afraid It might be a sign of corrosion. I live in a tropical country but not near the ocean or bodies of water.
i live in central Florida where humidity stays ~60% and climbs to >90% very frequently.
i leave my windows open at night only inches from my case intake fans.
have never had metal or other corrosion due to environmental air humidity through probably 25 builds over the years.

Jun 12, 2021
if you go through the RMA process and it does turn out to be just dust from your own environment;
depending on PowerColor warranty services, you may get charged for shipping to get your card back.
can turn out to be quite a bit of money.

i live in central Florida where humidity stays ~60% and climbs to >90% very frequently.
i leave my windows open at night only inches from my case intake fans.
have never had metal or other corrosion due to environmental air humidity through probably 25 builds over the years.
Thanks for the reply. Just dissambled the gpu cooler and saw this:

View: https://imgur.com/EzXj9sL

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Looks like dust to me, too.

RMAing for this would not likely be successful. Most warranties have explicit exclusions for things like dust and corrosion. The only exception may be if a particular run of GPUs all had corrosion issues due to a component problem, but we'd likely be hearing more about that if it were the issue.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
I've had good luck using a small brass brush to remove surface corrosion. It's softer than steel so shouldn't damage anything.

**I would only use it if you can do it out of the case & make sure it's clean. don't want any stray bristles near anything important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS