[SOLVED] What is this white stuff?

Mar 10, 2020
Just opened my pc for the first time in a year or so and I noticed this white blob coming from the hose above it.
It won’t let me upload a photo but it looks like bird poop. And it’s sitting on my power supply.

But doesn't that liquid evaporate instantly?
I saw that one video from Gamers' Nexus where Steve cut open one of the heatpipes on the Deepcool Assassin 3.

I'm quite sure you are right.

I cut open a heatpipe on an Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme IV with a dremel tool recently, and there wasn't any fluids leaking from that - nothing at all - it must have evaporated.

There are still a couple of heatpipes left on that cooler, so it wouldn't be difficult to test once more (the cooler has been retired, of course)

Deepcool Assassin 3 is an air cooler, AiO coolers circulate liquid based on water and special additives NOT to evaporate fast.

There's a liquid in the heatpipes on air coolers (I'm not thinking of an AiO), that's what makes them move heat from the base of the cooler to the fins. I would think that's what is referred to in this case, regarding the Deepcool Assasin 3 .

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Deepcool Assassin 3 is an air cooler, AiO coolers circulate liquid based on water and special additives NOT to evaporate fast.
No, not that - the heatpipes. This here by SkyNetRising: "If you bust open a heatpipe on an air cooler, it will leak too."
From what I saw in this video, heatpipes have a small amount of liquid in them, but it evaporates pretty quickly once exposed to the air.

OH - MadsModsat got it.

No, not that - the heatpipes. This here by SkyNetRising: "If you bust open a heatpipe on an air cooler, it will leak too."
From what I saw in this video, heatpipes have a small amount of liquid in them, but it evaporates pretty quickly once exposed to the air.

OH - MadsModsat got it.
There's just a few drops of refrigerant liquid in the heat transfer pipes in air coolers, same stuff used in fridges and air conditioners, nothing like water based liquid in AiOs. Those can't be compared at all, not even close.
Air coolers and other refrigerant liquids are made to evaporate as FAST as possible and are liquid only under pressure. and don't really evaporate but revert to original condition (gas) under relatively low temps.
AiO and custom cooler use liquid made to evaporate as SLOW as possible so they don't cause undue pressure at high temps. Same as car and other engines.