[SOLVED] what is this?

gikal

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
i found this while i was cleaning my computer behind the vrms of the motherboard, what are this spots ?

View: https://imgur.com/a/QYAsZSi

my motherboard is msi h370 gaming plus https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H370-GAMING-PLUS.html

temperatures are great, cpu i7 8700 never goes above 65 while full load, system ambient in hwinfo 64 is always 35-45, motherboard temperature is always between 28c - 45 or 50 while gaming. should i rma? i bought it one month ago. thanks in advance

Solution
I suppose it could just be excess flux from the soldering process that heat cycles have slowly pushed out to the surface. But in a few places it appears to be on traces and not near any components. Perhaps residue from thermal pads, but I wouldn't expect to see that on this side of the board.

If it wipes off I wouldn't worry about it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I suppose it could just be excess flux from the soldering process that heat cycles have slowly pushed out to the surface. But in a few places it appears to be on traces and not near any components. Perhaps residue from thermal pads, but I wouldn't expect to see that on this side of the board.

Reactions: gikal
Solution

gikal

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019

hello sir, i think you are right, because msi support gave me the same answer, thanks :D

Thanks for contacting MSI technical support.

Regarding your concern, if the MB can work fine, please don't worry about it. You can use alcohol to clean it. Thanks!

Thanks for your cooperation in advance!

Best Regards,

MSI Technical Support Team

it may be from your fingers when you have it installed?
no, i think it could be two things: 1 : excess flux from soldering 2. probably some oil leaked from the vrms, maybe caused by high temperatures or a cheap themal pad, if the liquid spots are tiny then there is no problem, if you feel like its big enough to concern and to put in risk the life span of the mb, then the solution is to change the thermal pads of the vrms, clean the spots with 99% isopropyl alcohol and put a good thermal paste in the die chipset, but this is hardcore for a novice pc builder. thanks for the answer sir

Reactions: RememberThe5th