What Is up with my wired upload speed?

mrtesseract

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I have comcast blast and a docsis 3.0 sb6121. I am using a linksys wrt160n v2. The download speed is fine at around 30mbps but when doing a speedtest it takes a second for the upload to start and then it is max around 2 mbps through a wired connection (you can see my comp stats in my sig). Wireless other devices get a tiny bit slower download but get an upload of like 10 mbps on this setup. I know router has the most up to date firmware. I think i should have all the right drivers for my motherboard? Any suggestions?

mrtesseract

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Okay i played around with that setting, 100 mbps/full duplex actually slows my speed down. the 1gbps settings sets it to the speed i was originally at. I just kept it on auto. I know i have already switched the cables once but is there any chance i need a cat 6 or a different ethernet cable>? I need more ideas folks!

Is the linksys wrt160n v2 gigabit or 100 mbps? If gigabit, then Auto is fine. If 100 mbps, then you should set the LAN controllers to 100 mbps/Full-duplex and power cycle the router.

mrtesseract

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
it is a 100mbps i believe. I think it has something to do with the ethernet switching inside this router. I dont think i am going to be able to get around this. I do have a wireless card sitting around, do you think it would be worth it to up my upload speed and take a small hit in download speed by just going wireless?

mrtesseract

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
not working :( Yeah jumbo frames is disabled. I did some detective work and could not find a definitive answer that this router is bad for a wired connection but saw some evidence of it. I guess i just live with it or find a new router

For a file transfer test it obviously doesn't matter. If it takes 1 minute to transfer the file one way and 10 minutes the other way, then you know there's a network issue. The goal here isn't to benchmark the link; it's to determine if the PC and the router negotiated the connection correctly or not.

jerflash

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I am having the same issue. I just got the optimum boost plus. download speeds are close to 60 Mbps Wired but only 20 over wireless g(to be expected). Funny thing is my upload speed is only 2-3 Mbps wired and over wireless G its 8 Mbps...this is pissing me off cause that could explain why i have some problems streaming movies from this computer to all my wireless devices. I dont think its a router issue but who knows. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks

nerdburg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
The first thing to do in trouble shooting speed problems with a cable modem is to eliminate the router for testing purposes. Hardwire a computer directly to the modem and check your speeds. Flashed based speed test are unreliable, try ShaperProbe (http://www.measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools#tool5) If you still have speed issues you can check you modem's signal levels (http://192.168.100.1) to make sure it not a signal problem.

Desdemonique

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

This is pretty close to the fix that worked for me, as I was having the same issue. My husband's a SysAdmin for the university here, and what he did to fix my crappy upload speed via wired (0.22 Mbps when promised 1.5 Mbps on Ethernet, but 1.21 Mbps on wireless) was go to the Device Manager and uninstall my Ethernet Controller to force a reinstall of it after rebooting my machine, and then manually installing the driver from the disk that came with my PC. I have an Alienware M14x and we have AT&T U-verse internet. We realized fairly quickly that the issue wasn't our router or internet itself since my husband's upload speeds were fine and testing at the amount promised us by AT&T.

Needless to say, this resolved my upload speed problem when I was wired in. Good luck!

SeanNY2

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
This same problem was driving me nuts. I found the answer elsewhere in this forum.

My ASUS motherboard came with an "AI Suite" software package, which I installed on my computer. One of the items in that package is called iControl. It has caused problems for numerous people:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312236-30-beware-asus-network-icontrol-kill-upload-speeds

I uninstalled it by running the Uninstall a Program utility in Windows. You have to select the whole AI Suite and click uninstall. Then it launches the AI Suite unistaller, which allows you to select an individual component to uninstall.

Once I did that, my problem vanished.