What is Windows 10 Developer Mode?

Curious User

Reputable
May 1, 2014
I notice in Windows 10 when I go to Setting and Update and Security there you can find "For Developers" setting and inside you have 3 choices, Windows Store Apps; Sideload Apps; Developer Mode.
After discovering this setting, I can't help but question:
What are these? How different are they at each other?

But really interests me, is the Developer Mode. Sounds like a mode for coders, or a pathway to practice OS programming. But I know It's not, although I wish it is.

What features do I get If I activate Windows 10's Developer Mode? And why is it disabled in default?

Solution
While others who use it can probably answer better, there is little different feature wise in Dev mode, however you do get updates earlier, but they may be buggy. For most people Developer mode isn't going to help you.

Curious User

Reputable
May 1, 2014

So you're saying, It's like turning your Windows into a beta? Where you get a chance to get earlier updates (test updates) to examine and report it back to Microsoft?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yes but there is more than that to it, it allows you to sideload and debug apps if you are using Visual Studio, basically allowing you to bypass Windows internal checks.

You can also go back and enable Insider previews alone to make Windows a Beta as well.

Either way neither one (especially Developer) is useful to any regular user.

Curious User

Reputable
May 1, 2014

Thank you. So i'll just leave it disabled then and forget it. Debugging apps seems an extra work, but it's good to know it's possible.