What is windows boot manager and should it be my boot drive?

jacob_208

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
I recently got another hard drive in my computer and when i partitioned it and formated it i went to the uefi bios to make sure it was set as the boot drive (after i cloned my old drive onto my new one). But the boot priority was set to WBM, do i leave it?

Solution
Windows Boot Manager is the right choice for top position. What it does is tells the PC which drive/partition in the PC has the boot files.

Every version of windows prior to windows 8 used a partitioning scheme called Master Boot Record which had its boot partition as the 1st one on the drive. To boot off them you would put the boot drive as 1st in boot order so PC would look for the files on the right drive

Windows 8 and Windows 10 use a partitioning scheme called Guid (Guid stands for Global Unique ID) Partition table which can have its boot partition anywhere on the drive. To boot off a GPT drive you have Windows Boot Manager as 1st as it contains a list of all the drives that include the file it needs to look for to boot PC

GPT...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows Boot Manager is the right choice for top position. What it does is tells the PC which drive/partition in the PC has the boot files.

Every version of windows prior to windows 8 used a partitioning scheme called Master Boot Record which had its boot partition as the 1st one on the drive. To boot off them you would put the boot drive as 1st in boot order so PC would look for the files on the right drive

Windows 8 and Windows 10 use a partitioning scheme called Guid (Guid stands for Global Unique ID) Partition table which can have its boot partition anywhere on the drive. To boot off a GPT drive you have Windows Boot Manager as 1st as it contains a list of all the drives that include the file it needs to look for to boot PC

GPT was created to replace MBR as it fixes many of the shortcomings of MBR

MBR only allows for a maximum of 4 partitions on drive - GPT has a maximum of 128 partitions
MBR can only access 2tb on a hdd, will ignore the rest - GPT can access 18.8 million Terrabytes of data on 1 hdd, so I don't expect to see a drive that big for a while.

Solution