What is wrong?? CPU stock temp is high...

Alanthor

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Hi,

It must be something major wrong with my rig now... I have the AMD FX-8320 processor with Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 cooler, and the fine little saberkitty 990FX r2.0. Thermal Compound used is Arctic Cooling MX-4. Application method is 2 small dots on the heatsink.

But the temperature in Prime95 Blend test is 55C after 4 minutes... Small FFTs is even worse, ALL STOCK!

What the heck is wrong? Could the cooler be too tight? Too loose? Not equally tight on each side...? Brainstorm me.

And for the record.. I have no idea how tight I should screw it, but I screw it with the "Xcrossing", and til I basically cant tighten it anymore. Or should I stop when I hear the springs on the screw sound?

Alanthor

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
But... But... There wont be any room for extreme overclocking... :p It stays on 55C pretty long, but havent run Prime more than 5minutes yet. That will come when fine tuning is on.

Approximately ambient temp inside case: 24-30C

I always tighten the CM 212 until it bottoms out(do not force it since one can break the bolts.).

55 is not a deadly temperature by any means. You have a high performance cpu, they tend to run warm.

The only thing I can see being an issue would be thermal paste application. Normally a small dot(on the cpu not the cooler) or line is the method of choice. I would remove the cooler(with the system OFF) and see how the contact looks. You do not want a layer too thick either.

Some users also use a method of applying a dab to the cooler and spreading it evenly with a finger in a plastic bag. I have tried it an it works well as long as you do not mind the waste of thermal paste(extra on the bag means you have to use a bit more to start).

The goal is a thin(thick enough to ensure contact, but not too thick to insulate the cpu) layer covering the heat spreader. With so many ways to apply paste, you may find one way works better for you.

Alanthor

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Showing off? Im not even satisfied... xD

I can assure that there is nothing wrong with my TIM application method. And no, I wont do it again, cuz I just did it 5 minutes ago..
Well, 8k score in 3DMark11 Basic Edition :D

kanewolf

Titan
The 8320 is a high wattage CPU (125W). Much higher than competing Intel products. You didn't say what RPM the fan is running. There are some other threads about the Evo that say you can improve your temps by replacing the stock fan with an aftermarket. You will probably need some liquid cooling for a significant overclock.

Alanthor

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
What..? I said which CPU cooler I have, and its defo not stock fan :p
My CPU fan is running max 24/7, and the actual fan is the 120mm top chassi fan that was included in Zalman Z11 Plus. I looked up the specs, and it has like 2 values higher CFM and it runs much more quieter.