Question What is wrong with my computer? It keeps lagging in Word and Excel!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 27, 2020
Build:
Ryzen 9 3900X
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
32 GB 3200 MHz
Dual EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (non SLI)
1000W PSU
1 TB 970 EVO M.2
3 TB Seagate
InWin 309 Case
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R

and 7 monitors.

Windows 10 Home
Version 1909

My computer is running 7 monitors currently. I couldn't SLI the 2070s because SLI doesn't allow me to output on the second GPU.

It only lags on Word and Excel. Then the entire computer just slows down after that. Nothing is peaking in the task manager. Ram gets up to maybe 14gb out of 32gb. Cpu doesn't even hit 10%. Both the GPUs get to about 30%. Bios, windows, drivers, everything is updated. I just don't understand why Word and Excel give me problems.
ODdzzCX.jpg

empyreanmax

Honorable
Apr 15, 2015
The only thing that would make sense is there is a bit of software (or combination therof) that is interfering with Word / Excel somehow.

You could try performing a clean boot and see if that improves the performance of Word / Excel (if you haven't done that before, type in 'msconfig' into the windows 10 search box and run the system configuration utility, go to the 'services' tab, check the 'hide all microsoft services' then disable everything else and reboot your machine- that will disable all non essential background services including driver utilities and such and would help determine if some bit of software on the machine is the culprit).

If that doesn't work you could also try booting up in safe mode and testing again. If the software behaves in safe mode that would suggest there is some driver related issue with office.

Hey, I wanted to jump in here and say I was having a similar problem as OP with only Excel after installing a new Ryzen 3700X and MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi with 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM. Performing a clean boot as detailed here solved it, I was able to narrow it down to a program installed with my motherboard called Nahimic which apparently has an awful reputation for stuff like this. I uninstalled it and Excel is zippier than ever with my new RAM and CPU.

@Doobert Mcscoobert if you're still having issues I hope this can help

Reactions: cdrkf