What is wrong with my computer?

lcolederrick

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I posted this a few days ago, but I didn't really get much help, so I thought I'd try again.

I have been building a system for a few weeks now with some new parts and some used. I'll give you a list of my parts and then give you the symptoms I'm having.

Parts:
Intel Core i5 750
Asus P7H55-M Pro Board
Corsair CX430 Power Supply
EVGA GeForce 9600 GSO graphics card
Samsung 120 GB SSD
Corsair (2) 2x4 gb DDR3 RAM

The mobo, Nvidia card and processor are used from my younger brother's old system and were working at the time that he took them out.

Alright, so tonight I finally got everything together and started it, at first it would go through the boot menu, and let me change settings and everything, but then at times the computer would just turn off, sometimes during the boot menu, sometimes it would only stay on for a few seconds and then cut off.

I finally got it to stay on long enough to install Windows on the SSD and I got into Windows and thought it was alright at that point, but then it did it again. It hasn't been under any usage. It just turns off if it's sitting there. I'll just leave it at the desktop and then it will turn off and restart itself. Then sometimes it won't even turn back on, I will have to unplug the power from the back and then plug it back in for it to turn on, but it will still kick off.

Most of the time when it turns off on me, the computer actually stays on, it just closes out of Windows, goes to the MOBO splash screen, and then starts Windows back up. It never actually turns off.

It barely even lets me into the boot menu, it gets me to the Asus screen for like half a second and I have to be lucky enough to hit the key in time to get into Bios, but half the time it will kick off while I'm in Bios anyways. Then sometimes it will boot up fine and stay on for a couple of minuted before kicking back to the splash screen and starting over, even when it's just sitting at the desktop or login screen.

It's not the power supply because I just got a brand new Corsair 430, the mobo, Nvidia card and processor are used, but I don't think it's the processor; it kicks on and the fan spins and everything.

I wouldn't mind buying a new board, but I don't want to sink more money into what was supposed to be a cheap build if the mobo isn't even bad, but I'm leaning towards the mobo being the issue.

My case doesn't have speakers, so listening for beeps isn't really an option. I really need some help here though; this is becoming more and more frustrating.

lcolederrick

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

I will try that.

I considered the RAM today, but had to run to class, so only barely started to check on the RAM. The MOBO has 4 slots, A1, B1, A2, B2. They were in A1 and B1.

I took them both out, put one in A1 and it started. I turned it off, took it out of A1 and put it in B1, it didn't start. So I took it out of B1, put it in A1 and it turned on, then I had to go to class. My GF texted me and said that it did the reset thing again though not long after I left.

The only other thing I can think to do is swap out the one RAM that is in A1 right now with the other stick and see if it is the stick that's in there right now that is the issue.

lcolederrick

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I forgot to mention that the ports on the MOBO do not work for the display. I tried the HDMI and VGA ports on the MOBO while the GPU was disconnected and it would not display, which makes me think it is the motherboard again.

lcolederrick

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

I took the battery out of the MOBO a few days ago, but I only left it out for a few seconds. Would that have reset it or should I leave it out for a longer period of time?

lcolederrick

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

Well shoot. Thanks for the input man. I guess I'll swap that RAM out when I get home and if that doesn't fix it I'll have to try a new MOBO.