[SOLVED] What is wrong with my GPU? Can it be fixed?

Mar 15, 2020
Hey everyone,

So, today I tried updating my graphics drivers (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660) through the device manager but I noticed that it "updated" to an older date which I found weird but I thought maybe it was my idea. I restarted my PC and it wouldn't go past the boot screen and my keyboard wouldn't work, so I ended up taking my GPU out and using my iGPU which booted fine. I then deleted all Nvidia drivers using DDU, got in bios, changed it to start from the integrated graphics, plugged my GPU back on and redownloaded the drivers. My PC recognizes the GPU and I can see it on GPU-Z but when I try to start it through the GTX 660 I get the same problem as before.

Sorry if it's a long post, let me know if you need more information

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I got them straight from Nvidia, through GeForce. Should I redo it going from gigabyte?

worth a try. nvidia will have good drivers in general, but the company that made the card will have the most up to date and specific drivers for the specific card they made.

may not fix it but worth a shot anyway.

you decided to update the drivers why? was there already an issue or did you just let windows update do it's thing figuring no harm can be done? no previous issues would suggest the update was the problem. will the card run on the generic drivers if you delete everything and boot windows with the card like that?

basically trying to narrow down what might be going on here.

Mar 15, 2020
you decided to update the drivers why? was there already an issue or did you just let windows update do it's thing figuring no harm can be done? no previous issues would suggest the update was the problem.

I tried running a game and it wouldn't run, giving me a "directx error" message, so I thought maybe updating the GPU drivers would fix it. No real issues

will the card run on the generic drivers if you delete everything and boot windows with the card like that?

No it won't boot either way if I try using it as the dedicated card.
It works perfectly fine as a secondary card though, like if I boot with the iGPU and then try to run a game on the GTX 660 with a second screen connected to it.

I hope that makes sense

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that is strange. i can't think of how changing the driver in windows should effect it being able to boot up which happens before windows is in the mix.

about the only other thought is perhaps there is a firmware update for the card which might solve some issues. it is an older card so it may still be on an old firmware. other than that i'm going to have to think on it some more. this one is rather odd for sure.

Solution
Mar 15, 2020
@cin19 I still use Windows 7. I ended up just downloading the game on PS4 since I can still use keyboard and mouse there so that's not a problem anymore, thanks though!

@Math Geek I took a look at the gigabyte and there are no drivers there they just redirect you to the Nvidia site

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
cin19's thought above is my next one as well. time to try the card in another pc and see if it still works. possible the card just died finally coincidentally times it with the driver upgrade.

does not sound like it to me but always worth checking out.

Mar 15, 2020
cin19's thought above is my next one as well. time to try the card in another pc and see if it still works. possible the card just died finally coincidentally times it with the driver upgrade.

does not sound like it to me but always worth checking out.
Sorry for the late reply, I don't really have another PC to test it with, it works as a secondary GPU so I'm ok with it for now. Thanks for all the help

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the fact that it works that way suggests it's not the gpu but rather something in the BIOS not letting it be used as primary device. but i'm not sure what might be going goofy there. checking for an updated BIOS would be a good idea. but if you've not done that before, getting someone with experience to do it for you would not be a bad idea. usually works out fine but a mis-step can start major issues.

so long as you can use it for now, you should be ok as is.