Question What is wrong with my HDD?

May 29, 2020
Hello everyone!

Once again, a question with a weird HDD situation arises.
I've built a secondary, low-cost pc to set up as a local server/work station, and so far everything has been going smoothly... until the HDD part came.
I installed a copy of windows using the download tool Windows provides on the new Hard Drive, let it run and install on my new pc. Everything seemed to be fine. There was a nice, clean install of Windows 10 ready to rock and fully functioning.

As soon as I moved the Hard Drive over to the other pc, though, the hard drive wouldn't boot anymore. I've tried different ports, different SATA cables, boot orders, failsafe boots, everything, but I'm unable to start up past BIOS, as if no connection to the drive is made - even though it is recognised by the motherboard.
If anyone would have a clue, how can I fix this?

Specs are:

Motherboard: MSI MS-5719 version 1.4
CPU: Intel core2 Quad Q8300
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 (not certain)
GPU: some MSI card, again unsure what is is.
Storage: 1x Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Edit: PSU is Cooler Master G450M

Thanks in advance!

USAFRet

Titan
When you power up, what happens exactly?

"As soon as I moved the Hard Drive over to the other pc "
But...moving a drive+OS t a whole new system often fails. That OS needs to be installed while the drive is in the system where it will live.

May 29, 2020
When you power up, what happens exactly?

"As soon as I moved the Hard Drive over to the other pc "
But...moving a drive+OS t a whole new system often fails. That OS needs to be installed while the drive is in the system where it will live.
I am able to get into the BIOS of the pc, change settings there and save & exit. Then, nothing. No activity from the drive whatsoever, neither from the pc.

Also, I honestly did not know that moving a hard drive to a new system fails often... Thing is, I've tried installing Windows on the new pc with a USB-drive, but booting that didn't work either. Same problem occurs there, and I won't get further than saving & exiting the BIOS.

USAFRet

Titan
I am able to get into the BIOS of the pc, change settings there and save & exit. Then, nothing. No activity from the drive whatsoever, neither from the pc.

Also, I honestly did not know that moving a hard drive to a new system fails often... Thing is, I've tried installing Windows on the new pc with a USB-drive, but booting that didn't work either. Same problem occurs there, and I won't get further than saving & exiting the BIOS.
Start here and work through this checklist:

May 29, 2020
Start here and work through this checklist:
Thank you for this list.
I've worked through it, reset the BIOS and attempted to run another clean install by wiping the disk completely and trying to install windows via USB on the 'new' pc. Nothing worked, unfortunately. Even when trying to set up boot order to USB, no startup is aquired. Should I perhaps try it with an older version of windows, first?

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for this list.
I've worked through it, reset the BIOS and attempted to run another clean install by wiping the disk completely and trying to install windows via USB on the 'new' pc. Nothing worked, unfortunately. Even when trying to set up boot order to USB, no startup is aquired. Should I perhaps try it with an older version of windows, first?
Where, exactly, does it fail during the boot up?