What is Wrong with My PC?

Senatov

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
This has been happening for the last few days on my gaming rig. For some reason, I turned the PC on, logged in just like usual, and it says it cannot get a network connection. My connection has always been an ethernet cable between the PC and the router and it's always worked. It cannot even connect to the router (192.168.1.1).

When I go into network settings, it says "Unidentified Network". HOWEVER, if I open a command window, and do

ipconfig /release

and then

ipconfig /renew

it connects right back immediately and works fine. When I restart my PC, it happens again. I cannot think of anything I did or changed in the time this has started happening that would cause this. No software or hardware or settings change or anything. All I can think of is maybe one of those Windows 10 updates screwing it up, but other than that, it has always worked fine.

Also, whenever this happens, my Wi-Fi card also cannot connect to any routers and get Internet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
It is because windows has lost the network type for the network adaptor and the network that was originally created.

If you are using windows 10 it was probably down to a windows update auto installing its self.

In any case If you go to control panel of windows 10
Then click on network and sharing.

When the new window opens.
You should see Network.
And under it the network type currently running.

If you click on the network type just re select home network from the list that is shown.
windows should then apply the network type as a home network.
Instead of saying unidentified network.

Or click on setup a new network.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
have you tried reinstalling the drivers for the network devices?
are there any errors in the event viewer?
when was the last time you rebooted the router?

my router is going out and my ip address drops every morning around 2, and I have to go through the same procedure. in my case it is the router.

It is because windows has lost the network type for the network adaptor and the network that was originally created.

If you are using windows 10 it was probably down to a windows update auto installing its self.

In any case If you go to control panel of windows 10
Then click on network and sharing.

When the new window opens.
You should see Network.
And under it the network type currently running.

If you click on the network type just re select home network from the list that is shown.
windows should then apply the network type as a home network.
Instead of saying unidentified network.

Or click on setup a new network.

Solution

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
This smells like something went wrong your router. Try power cycling your router.

If that doesnt solve the problem, call your ISP tech support.
Since it happens every single time you restart your PC, its easy to reproduce once you get on the phone with them