What Is Your Ideal AMD Fusion CPU?

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
AMD has recently announced that it is currently working on its Fusion CPU which will have an onboard gpu in the cpu. What bits and pieces from AMD's generations past would you want to see in this new cpu? Would you even want to have an onboard gpu?

well, for the first rendition we are likely going to see tweaked Phenom II cores along with a low end 5xxx series (think like the HD32XX/33XX/42XX and lower)

having a built solution is nice to have, when you main GPU(s) go this is a good way to still have a computer to use, just don't expect much in the gaming department from it

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I would expect that the IGP in the Fusion processor would offer the same Crossfirex scaling architecture so that folks who do want to game can still make use of the silicon and enjoy power savings when they aren't running 3D. I would also expect to see an option that would allow you to make wider use of GPGPU calls through the onboard in addition to the standard x86 opcodes. While I don't epect to see somehting like this in the next version of Windows, the recent talks between Apple and AMD gives sway to the thought that Apple is really considering their options (as well as their recent foray into GPGPU processing and making OpenCL an addition to OS X). If Apple goes this route, I can honestly see the silicon in your box being put to better use, whether you are gaming or need more cycles from OpenCL to offload processing that could better be managed by stream processors as opposed to x86 general processor calls.

if its using this gens current gpu tech, we will probably see 128SP, as the current crop of AMD IGP's has 32 and all are based on HD3xxx series and the transition from 3k to 6k is about 4x SP

i imagine the cpu cores will be roughly the same speed as the current crop of Athlon II or maybe even Phenom II (if it has L3 cache)

as for TDP, i would expect around 65w-95w because of the added gpu core logic to the chip

xaira

Distinguished

im talking notebook, where amd expects fusion to really thrive, i really dont see the point of any more power than that for a portable, 3 cores at 1.9 is to me enough to satisfy the power cravings of even the most thirsty character...