[SOLVED] What is your opinion of drive cloning devices?

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
I have a 2TB SSD that I want to install as a replacement to my 250GB SSD. My other SSD is a 500GB and it has all my games on it. I bought a Wavlink dual-bay docking station to facilitate the transfer of all my files. So, it'll go something like this...

Step 1: transfer my steam folder ( about 452 GBs) from my 500GB SSD to my 2TB SSD.

Step 2: erase everything on my 500GB SSD and turn it into drive (C:

Step 3: transfer the contents of my 250GB SSD to my 500GB SSD, which includes Windows 10.

Step 4: install the 500GB SSD as drive (C:, and the 2TB SSD as drive (D:, and the 250GB SSD as a backup (E:

I've never done this before so it very well might end in disaster! Anyhow, my question is: what is your experience with these drive cloning devices? Did you have any trouble with them?

Thanks in advance, guys!

Solution
The Steam client, by default, is on your C drive along with all your other applications/utilities.
Unless you purposely changed it during the install, that's where it is.

Since you already have that cloning dock, your procedure should work. Assuming that dock works as advertised.
Looks like your game play is solid. We use a Sabrent Brand but same kind of machine.

Your step 2 you really don't have to worry about as step 3 will just clear what was already on the 500gb "steam games" to over wright to put on your "C" 250gb "windows" to the 500GB drive.

You will need when your all done to go to your control panel to system management and expand your 500gb after cloning as it will just be 250gb from the clone.

I hope I didn't get to confusing ?

I like to be extra careful and I check my work with each step and have never had a problem. Good luck

USAFRet

Titan
Just to verify...

Have:
250GB = the C drive with OS and Steam client
500GB = Steam games

Want:
500GB = OS and Steam client
2TB = Steam games

Is this correct? If so, no device needed. Free software can do all of this.
Details to follow after confirmation.

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
Just to verify...

Have:
250GB = the C drive with OS and Steam client
500GB = Steam games

Want:
500GB = OS and Steam client
2TB = Steam games

Is this correct? If so, no device needed. Free software can do all of this.
Details to follow after confirmation.

I'm not sure where the Steam client is...everything related to Steam is on my 500GB (D) SSD. I already bought the cloning device. But, yes...

Have:
250GB = the C drive with OS
500GB = Steam games

Want:
500GB = OS
2TB = Steam games
250GB as backup

USAFRet

Titan
The Steam client, by default, is on your C drive along with all your other applications/utilities.

Since you already have that cloning dock, your procedure should work. Assuming that dock works as advertised.

Solution

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019

The Steam client is on the C drive...got'cha. I'll just leave that right where it is. Thanks alot!