What is your opinion of Razer mouse and keyboards?

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I have a Razer Death Adder and a Razer Black Widow, and I am sick and tired of people trying to do my thinking for me and say that Razer makes overpriced garbage.

Has these people ever owned one?

I have been a gamer for the longest time, and I have NEVER owned a mouse and keyboard as good as these. Never.

What is your opinion of Razer mouse and keyboards, particularly the Death Adder and Black Widow?

Solution
I absolutely love Razer products! I have owned The Razer Lycosa keyboard, still use it today ( same one i've had for psh 2 + years and works perfect ) I tried the Black Widow Ultimate which was a great keyboard but just not my style.

I have used the Razer Mamba which I LOVED! and have now swapped over to the Razer SWTOR edition Naga which I did an unboxing for on my youtube page www.youtube.com/thecoopexperience

The SWTOR Naga is an awesome mouse for any MMORPGer
i own a razer death adder myself...

and they DO make overpriced products. while i would not call them garbage they are a far cry from being worth all the hype. you can get the same quality out of a product that costs half as much.

in general yes the products do work, i would even go so far as to say i've had zero issues with mine in that regard.

the biggest issue with razer products is in the rubber coating on both the keyboard and mouse, and the cheap stick on letters on the keyboard. both will wear off after time. the rubber also is a dust magnet and will make the surface feel gritty after just a few days of disuse. both are very hard to clean with any sort of solvent as the rubber will get tacky so you are almost forced to use just a cloth with plain water. no lysol, bleach, or other products you might use to disinfect your desk.

--

have i owned a product which performed as good?

my old wireless mx1000, ms intellimouse, various cheap optical mice. a mouse is a mouse. i like the large size of the razer for sure but its not really a better product.

as far as keyboards go logitech normally doesnt dissapoint. but in terms of putting all keyboards to shame? go buy a unicomp or das. i myself use an original model m and its quality of build cannot be beat.

shuin_exe

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
agreed to ssddx, I own Deathadder and Blackwidow Ultimate. The deathadder did a good job for me while the Blackwidow Ultimate's bulb wont last than you think, the 2 bulbs on my keyboard died within 3 weeks period.

If you want blackwidow just get a non-ultimate version is kinda cheap and you dont worry about bulbs that will died in just 3 weeks. ssddx said that has issue on keyboard is Lycossa while blackwidow has no rubber material on it, the letters are laser one that wont erase.

probably if you want to be a wise buyer go for what ssddx said :D

razer are over priced and badly made... i had 2 lachesis mice both ended up RMA'd with the same issue. broken mmb. the wheel still worked but the mmb failed within a few months and then withing a few weeks the second time. the second 1 was brand new also...
there headsets are not bad and sound good but have little bits of plastic holding major parts that fail and render the whole headset useless...

there destructor mat... utter crap. they say for gamers by gamers, well the mat i got was more like sandpaper than a mouse mat and what surface were they comparing it against to claim a 37percent increase in accuracey? the side of a brick?...

yeah i have had quite a few razor products and all let me down in 1 way or another, and defiantly dont deserve the +rep they have. there products are distinctly average.

oh and try and put an honest review on there forums, see how quickly you get banned.

skaz

Distinguished
Simply put razer started out great but their quality control has dropped a lot since the late 90s early 00s.

I have one of the original Razer Diamondback mouse from 2004 that is still running perfectly well. I won't get rid of it because the thing is so solid. I have upgraded to a deathadder and although the deathadder's sensor is one of the better ones in the market I did have to replace one already because the bottom was "scraping" against my mouse pad causing friction. QC issue, but the rest of the mouse I love.

As for their other products, again the quality isn't the greatest. I probably won't be buying anymore razer products besides my deathadder. But sometimes companies like razer put out gems so I'll still keep my eye out.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Well, it seems to me a lot of people like getting in the crowd and spewing forth crud for the sake of it being popular opinion.

Someone up there said something about a wireless mouse - well, that takes away his credibility - unless his expertise is getting fragged in multiplayer shooters.

How about mechanical vs membrane, optical vs laser - let me hear some actual mechanical facts to back up these opinions.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I respect everyone's opinion, and even though I asked for it, could you from now on lace it with actual reasons, and not just opinion?

You see, I need to see if your opinion is grounded in experience, and not just monkey hear monkey say syndrome, which the PC hardware world of wannabes is eat up with (NOT necessarily you guys - so don't take offense).

Thanks. :)

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
BTW, thanks to EVERYONE who answered so far and gave actual experiences.

I appreciate it, and I mean that.

I really didn't express my first post right. I guess I am looking for experiences with Razer products that have gone bad. Not opinions, although those are welcome, as well.

A few did name some experiences, and I really appreciate it.

This is a good answer.

The ultimate wasn't available at the Micro-Center I got my Black Widow at. Maybe it turned out for the best, based on your experience.

"Well, it seems to me a lot of people like getting in the crowd and spewing forth crud for the sake of it being popular opinion.Someone up there said something about a wireless mouse - well, that takes away his credibility - unless his expertise is getting fragged in multiplayer shooters.How about mechanical vs membrane, optical vs laser - let me hear some actual mechanical facts to back up these opinions."

all of the posts i've seen so far are giving you exactly what you wanted to hear. we are giving you our opinion on how the devices made by razer have worked for us. all are based on actual usage whether by us or someone else. dont discredit us even if we do not name a whole list of specifics. or do you want me to list things such as..

.. during gaming sessions the rubber coating which attracts dust can cause me great irritation due to the gritty texture unless i clean the mouse at least weekly with pure water as anything which can disinfect the mouse will make the rubber softer causing even greater buildup and dust and in turn cause greater irritation.
/sarcasm, you get the point i hope.

as far as your comment on my credibility... you fall prey to the common belief that wireless=bad which is not always true. some wireless products have a delay so small that its unperceptible. my deaths were normally fairly insignificant compared to the number of frags i got...normally in the top 4 at minimum. no thats not me bragging but fact...at least for the variety of games i played.

mechanical vs membrane? personal preference. i do prefer boards with stiff mechanical keys with a big letoff but others might not like this and might do better on a membrane based board. i've used both and for gaming the difference is negligible at best. i type faster on mechanical boards, but that doesnt affect gaming performance.

optical vs laser? personal preference. pretty much zero actual performance difference though unless you lift your mouse in which case laser = a bad choice. yes i've personally used both.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Hey, bro. You seem to think that I took issue with you as a person - totally not true. Just as an expert on mice. Maybe I acted a little hastily in disregarding what you had to say concerning gaming peripherals - but more on that later.

You say that the dust affects you. Well, I can sympathize with that - I can have pretty bad allergies. I would definitely count the dust issue as a big fat negative to the Razer gaming mouse, if not for one small problem...I haven't noticed it. Maybe I just have a dust free environment. Either way, the Razer Death Adder has not had that kind of adverse affect on me, if it had, I would probably understand your point.

Now, back to the topic of gaming mice and wireless. You must forgive me, but surely you can see the irony of getting advice on a mouse from a "PC gamer" that uses a wireless mouse. Now, I know that there are some halfway decent wireless mouses out there - but now you are talking overpriced. The CYBORG R.A.T 9 comes to mind - an excellent mouse, I am sure you would agree. But, except for a few extra side buttons, does nothing my Death Adder can't do faster. Why? Because mine is wired. Sorry!

But, it is not an insult to you that I, and many others, see it my way. Nor is an insult to me that you, and many others, see it your way. Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps it has a lot to do with the type of shooters people play? You said that the delay was very small. And that is true. It is. But what kind of shooters do you spend most of your time playing? I have played some BF3 and some CoD in my time (although I hate the latter with a passion). But shooters like Quake Live, Team Fortress 2, and Deathmatch Classic are more my style. Extremely high frame rates, 0 percent mouse lag (not 0.00001, but 0), and other factors are far more important to me and my kind (probably the kind of people who hate wireless) than would be to BF3 players (not making an assumption as to what you play, just making a point).

So maybe I was a little premature to discount your opinions. You are a person, you have a say, and you matter just as much as me or anyone else. So I am sorry.

But I do still disagree and believe Razer is excellent.

much appreciated. at least we can be civil here.

as far as the dust goes.. its not allergies. the mouse actually feels "gritty" which although it doesnt affect performance is rather annoying. we have forced air heating so a little dust is unavoidable. i'm just saying that this mouse's rubber coating isnt ideal for this situation.

my old mx1000 mouse came in a mouse/keyboard set i got for about $180 over five years ago. factoring in how much people pay for gaming sets...thats actually around the norm. it was the type with the rechargeable base and not the ones with the small wireless usb receiver. big difference in quality there.

i've played HL+TFC, UT, UT2K3, UT2k4, UT3, AVP2, Quake 4 plus other various games which require decent mouse control. for practice i used to play UT2k4 on a medium sized map, 15-20 godlike bots with a 200-250% increase on the gamespeed. to say things were hellish is an understatement. even in such situations any delay of the mouse was not perceptible.

it all has to do with the quality of the mouse and the type of receiver it uses.

i currently use a wired razer mouse and really...it does nothing extra special for me. it works well and i like it but i'm not about to praise it over all other solutions available.

--

we all have our opinions due to our different experiences. not trying to change your mind on your opinion at all. just putting some facts about my personal use out there as some information.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I can understand your experiences are what forms your opinions on a subject. This post is excellent - just the kind of thing I was looking for.

I have noticed a little grit on my death adder, but I usually just wipe it off - it is something I do without thinking, never really remembered that I do it until just now. I just...do it. And then continue to game.

I play a lot of twitch shooters and appreciate the 0 lag I get from my Death Adder. Even with V-Sync enabled, I don't get any lag, and that is the kind of thing I take note of and appreciate. I don't know if it has anything to do with the mouse or the game and my computer, but none the less I appreciate it.

This mouse has been all I need, I got what I expected, what I was willing to pay for - and I am happy with it.

The Black Widow keyboard is what has exceeded my expectations. I will NEVER go back to membrane.

This keyboard...is just awesome. The sound it makes while typing is extremely satisfying. The precision and ease of use while gaming - it's unrivaled as far as anything I've ever used before. I love it.

That is why, when people dog this keyboard, I am not so much upset...I am just flat out shocked. Shocked. Shocked the way someone would be if they heard someone criticize Miss Universe for having big feet; shocked the way someone would be if they heard someone criticize a gold mine for not having indoor plumbing; shocked the way someone would be if they heard someone criticize a flying car for only going the speed of sound, and not the speed of light.

Just shocked, as in "Are you f***ing crazy!!! This is AMAZING!!!" kind of shocked. In people are nit-picking kind of shocked.

Just my opinion, and indicates how well an experience I have had with my Razer products. :D

i will agree that mechanical keyswitches ARE superior to rubber dome switches.

however, keep in mind that razer isnt the first, nor the best in this class of keyboard.

as far as being shocked... welcome to reality. each of us has a unique way of viewing the world....which often isnt completely understood by others easily.

point: i once saw a driver going 15mph in a 35mph zone.... who then parked, got out, then ran like they were in a hurry. confused i was, as you are now!

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Confusion on your part does not negate the illogic on the drivers part.

Likewise.

jchurch83

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I absolutely love Razer products! I have owned The Razer Lycosa keyboard, still use it today ( same one i've had for psh 2 + years and works perfect ) I tried the Black Widow Ultimate which was a great keyboard but just not my style.

I have used the Razer Mamba which I LOVED! and have now swapped over to the Razer SWTOR edition Naga which I did an unboxing for on my youtube page www.youtube.com/thecoopexperience

The SWTOR Naga is an awesome mouse for any MMORPGer

Solution