What job positions could you reccomend me?

LOLMAN02

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
After having a long debate about how those motivational quotes are so BS for the most part
"to be succesfful you have to have your heart n your business and your business in your heart"

well reality hits hard and no, a Chinese kid born in a poor family cant all of a sudden be the next big CEO after working in an assembly line for 10 years earning 1€ each day.

However I want you guys to suggest and open my mind of ideas, Ive been interested into the tech industry for the longest time, computers specificially, however, Modding, Coding, programming doesnt interest me anymore,
What I LOVE doing is building computers, however I heard that its dying now a days
I want ideas on the tech side of things, i want to get hands on tech, but I have NO idea which domain/field I should be looking into, so some help would be apprecitaited
I want to work in the computer side of things,..

I was thinking about opening a website: long story short the aim was for customers to order their computer parts, ship it to us where they will pay a fee for us to custom build their rigs, then ship it back to them. "Custom PC builder for high-end consumers and professionals." kinda thing.
But the dream seems a bit far-fetched in todays world, and of course I need people to build, fund, build up the company name etc.... seems unrealistic for me..:3

M0j0jojo

Honorable
Well, start off low, first get a job at a restaurant, they are always hiring. and then once you have some money in your pocket, you can spend money to make money. and example is. Buy Iphone that sell for low price, and have something wrong with it, and only buy the ones that you know for sure you can fix, and then sell them for a higher price. I've been doing this for couple of weeks now. I got 3 Iphones 5 for around $200 CAD. Spent like $20 on new batteries for them. and sold them for $325 Each. made $105 profit on each phone. without doing any hard work.

G

It would be a lot easier to choose parts for the customers if they don't know a lot about that stuff, or just buy them yourself to avoid any errors. As for the idea overall, you still have to advertise to have any customers, so opening a shop might be a bit better... It's just my opinion though.

LOLMAN02

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

yes but i have NO experience building website, and I simply cannot afford wasting money on programmers if I dont know for certain that it will fail, that aside..

do you think its good conecept?

G

You can use something like wordpress or weebly, or something else to make a website. Or you can use standalone version (I don't remember how it's called) to create a website easily.

you should be able to teach yourself how to do it. never hire someone to do a job thats possible for you to do. like i said buy a cheap server. i ran a website on a 15 year old blade for the longest time and it worked just fine. as for a good idea their is only one way to tell

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
there is almost no entry level work in the hardware or software side of computers. you have to have a degree to even get in the door unless you consider Best Buy or warehouse packaging "computer" work.
you would need to start somewhere low on the line like doing customer support for a software or hardware developer/manufacturer and work your way up through promotions(which will also eventually require a degree to move any higher).

there are already quite a few "assemble online" computer parts stores. some that offer parts guidelines and some that totally build & ship. unless you have a big gimmick that makes your offer more worthwhile than no one is going to use an unknown website to handle this type of work.
i've been building custom systems and repairing hardware/software issues in my local community for almost 10 years and there just isn't enough business in the regular home user category. you will either have to get big contracts for businesses or have some incentive for PC gamers to want to use your services.

LOLMAN02

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

HMmm so that put my idea in the bin I guess...

Do you have any ideas about IT server maintenance jobs? do you need any degree for those?

USAFRet

Titan

Convince me why I should pay you to build a PC for me.

I'm not trying to be negative. Just asking what benefit you personally bring to the table, vs a few dozen other established companies.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
to get hired into IT you also have to have a degree in Information Systems or something similar unless you get hired as an assistant "grunt" for $10/hr.

LOLMAN02

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

I can offer you cheaper prices then any other companys, but still having the premium tidy PC build that you always dreamed off (good cable management etc)
a fast service and a decudction in shipping prices...

(not to mention some people are hesistant in building their own PC due to some fear of them doing it wrong>Ruining their components)

USAFRet

Titan
"cheaper prices" ?
Show me.

Spec out a PC at CyberPower.
Now, spec one out with the exact same parts, that you will build.
Which is 'cheaper'?

"decudction in shipping prices" ? You have some cheap inroad into UPS or USPS?

How long will it take to build and ship?

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
how can you offer better deals though? do you have access to overstocked warehouses, do you buy pirate hardware from asia, do you have the money to buy more bulk and therefore make your prices cheaper than the existing sites that are already trusted? you would actually have to backup these claims with proof.

M0j0jojo

Honorable
If your planning on building and selling computers, you better be patient, as I've tried selling computers, and it took a good while before I sold one. I would recommend buying and selling fixable things like Iphones, Cameras, and other electronics, because they are always in-demand.

LOLMAN02

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

Wow chill, as stated, it was jsut a thought I had in mind, I didnt have a real thought out plan about every aspect, Plus I originally wanted to constrict it to just my city, but I dont see a lot of peeps interested in it.

LOLMAN02

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

hmm seems interestng, but im guessing you need steady hands and a good knowledge of which parts to replace/buy them from

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
there's nothing to "chill" about. these are actual questions you will have to provide answers for if this is your idea. all i am offering is a base for your ideas and what you would need to provide. not criticizing you or your idea.

by your questions and reactions to the answers it sounds like you have no idea what's going on in the tech industry retail or repair sides of things. you may really want to dive into researching the industry in general to get a better grounds for your ideas for the future. if your school(guessing you are still pretty young) offers any computer, programming, tech programs you should probably sign-up and get a jump on things.