Question What keeps killing my flash drives?

Apr 17, 2019
This started late last year. I'm running Win10 Home. I had the Samsung BAR 1st gen flash drive for a couple years. Never had an issue. Then one day my computer would not recognize it on the front USB 3.1 ports. It would recognize it on the rear USB 2.0 ports. The flash drive was also not recognizable on the USB 3.0 ports on my laptop. So I bought the 2nd gen Samsung BAR flash drive. That worked for a month or two, until the same thing happened. So I bought another 2nd gen. This one lasted a couple weeks and won't work on either 2.0 or 3.0/3.1 now. I use a SanDisk Cruzer USB 2.0 drive on the same ports all the time with no issues. I mostly use my USB 3.1 drives for file transfer and PortableApps. So it's pretty much always plugged in 8 hours a day at work. It is not recognized at all in Device Manager, Disk Manager, or Partition Wizard.

Things I've done to try to fix and prevent this:

• Uninstalled USB Raptor, so it's not always checking for a file on the USB.
  • Started using the Remove USB Drive Safely feature, like you're supposed to
  • Updated BIOS, Chipset, etc for my MB
  • Checked/updated all drivers including everything under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager.
  • Turned off USB selective suspend setting

I'm all out of ideas now. I'm starting to think that PortableApps could be the culprit because I first installed it on my USBs sometime around the time this started happening.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I'm sick of spending money on flash drives. Thanks.