[SOLVED] What killed my hard drive?

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
About a month after I bought my computer, the hard drive's life ended.
It was sudden, I booted my computer one day and it just went to a blinking BIOS prompt. I could boot to anything but the hard drive and the USB drives couldn't write or read anything from the disk.

When I was booted into a USB drive, the hard drive would occasionally make a whirring sound and spin up, then spin back down.

This drive was 8 years old (it came with my computer which is a modded SFF pc). When it died, I opened it up. The platters weren't scratched, and the drive head wasn't stuck to the platters. However, a scratching noise appeared when I spun up the drive with my finger.

There could be a hidden scratch on another side of the platter, there were 5 inside of it. However, I couldn't confirm as I couldn't unscrew the platters, even with a Torx Security.

And if I get the right screwdriver, it's too late as I recycled the drive after running it over with a magnet just in case my passwords were still on there somewhere. I did back up my data, so the trauma was mainly the fear of my new HDD dying, however this new HDD is over 200 days old and has no issues, so my anxiety for the new drive is gone.

But I want to prevent whatever killed this drive from happening again. It was a 2TB IBM drive.

Solution
This drive was 8 years old + It was a 2TB IBM drive.
I think it's obvious that the drive gave up due to regular wear and tear or rather abuse.
About a month after I bought my computer, the hard drive's life ended.
It was sudden, I booted my computer one day and it just went to a blinking BIOS prompt. I could boot to anything but the hard drive and the USB drives couldn't write or read anything from the disk.

When I was booted into a USB drive, the hard drive would occasionally make a whirring sound and spin up, then spin back down.

This drive was 8 years old (it came with my computer which is a modded SFF pc). When it died, I opened it up. The platters weren't scratched, and the drive head wasn't stuck to the platters. However, a scratching noise appeared when I spun up the drive with my finger.

There could be a hidden scratch on another side of the platter, there were 5 inside of it. However, I couldn't confirm as I couldn't unscrew the platters, even with a Torx Security.

And if I get the right screwdriver, it's too late as I recycled the drive after running it over with a magnet just in case my passwords were still on there somewhere. I did back up my data, so the trauma was mainly the fear of my new HDD dying, however this new HDD is over 200 days old and has no issues, so my anxiety for the new drive is gone.

But I want to prevent whatever killed this drive from happening again. It was a 2TB IBM drive.
Disk fail.....fact of life.
Your not going to stop it.
That's why we make backups.

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
This drive was 8 years old + It was a 2TB IBM drive.
I think it's obvious that the drive gave up due to regular wear and tear or rather abuse.
It could be so, in the SMARt data it said it had been on for 7 years, and it also made a sort of windy noise when it was on. Not like whirring but more like a "wuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuw" sound