[SOLVED] What kind of air cooler do I need to overclock 11700k?

phunky_21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
How are air coolers rated? Like how do I know if it will meet the specifications that I need it for? How much am I looking to spend? Can you link me one that you think would work for me.

Solution
There are a few considerations.

First, what do you wish to accomplish by overclocking a 11700K?

If your main use is to run many threaded batch applications, then overclocking all cores is good.

If, on the other hand your main use is for gaming, then the better strategy is to set up for maximum turbo performance of a few fast cores.

In either case, cooling can help.
As you increase voltage to the cores, the heat generated increases, and that will limit what you can do.
I did some limited testing of a 11700K on an open test bed using a noctua NH-L12, a simple downdraft cooler.
To my surprise, a stress test with CPU-Z resulted in temperatures no higher than 65c.
I ended up using a top end noctua NH-D15s in a case with good airflow and...
There are a few considerations.

First, what do you wish to accomplish by overclocking a 11700K?

If your main use is to run many threaded batch applications, then overclocking all cores is good.

If, on the other hand your main use is for gaming, then the better strategy is to set up for maximum turbo performance of a few fast cores.

In either case, cooling can help.
As you increase voltage to the cores, the heat generated increases, and that will limit what you can do.
I did some limited testing of a 11700K on an open test bed using a noctua NH-L12, a simple downdraft cooler.
To my surprise, a stress test with CPU-Z resulted in temperatures no higher than 65c.
I ended up using a top end noctua NH-D15s in a case with good airflow and have seen nothing higher.
It has the cooling capability of a 240 aio.

If you are a record seeking overclocker, buy the very best cooler you can find, a 360 aio in a very good case.
But, as a practical matter I would not bother.
How high you can overclock is determined mostly by how good a chip you have.
The better overclocking chips have already been culled out for use in the 11900K processors.
I suppose you could get lucky, but do not count on it.

Solution