[SOLVED] What kind of capacitor is this?

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
My pc is currently dead,when i press the power button,there is no movement at all.
I suspect its the motherboard
I made a post about my motherboard a week ago,most of replies told me to check for bulged or leaking capacitors
All capacitors on my motherboard look like this:https://pasteboard.co/K8IIMXb.jpg
What kind of capacitors are they?
Can they bulge or leak?

Solution
Often times those aluminum caps won't bulge and signs of leaking won't be apparent. I've replaced a lot of them in 68K era Macs. None showed signs of leaking or bulging. All of them were bad.

That being said. If the motherboard is less than twenty years old. I'd suspect something else before the capacitors.

Did you try bypassing the power button? Those go bad. Sometimes the motherboard has a button. Otherwise you can just jump start it with a screwdriver by momentarily bridging the power switch terminals in the FPanel header.

Are you getting motherboard lights when the PSU is plugged in?

Did you check the basics? All wires plugged in. PSU power switch turned on. Electrical socket is good.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Those are electrolytic capacitors. Yes they can leak and the bulging happens when the fluid pressure inside increases due to some fault.

Doesn't look like they have though. Flat tops, not overly rounded and no residue on the board.

CPU heatsink could use a clean, along with the board though.

If there is nothing happening, I would immediately suspect the power supply myself.

Often times those aluminum caps won't bulge and signs of leaking won't be apparent. I've replaced a lot of them in 68K era Macs. None showed signs of leaking or bulging. All of them were bad.

That being said. If the motherboard is less than twenty years old. I'd suspect something else before the capacitors.

Did you try bypassing the power button? Those go bad. Sometimes the motherboard has a button. Otherwise you can just jump start it with a screwdriver by momentarily bridging the power switch terminals in the FPanel header.

Are you getting motherboard lights when the PSU is plugged in?

Did you check the basics? All wires plugged in. PSU power switch turned on. Electrical socket is good.

Reactions: SawmMawia
Solution
My pc is currently dead,when i press the power button,there is no movement at all.
I suspect its the motherboard
I made a post about my motherboard a week ago,most of replies told me to check for bulged or leaking capacitors
All capacitors on my motherboard look like this:https://pasteboard.co/K8IIMXb.jpg
What kind of capacitors are they?
Can they bulge or leak?
What makes you suspect the motherboard? with the symptom you've presented a far more likely source is PSU, especially if not one of the upper tier units. Modern motherboards generaly use fairly good quality capacitors since they are on full display. Whatever they used inside your PSU is a mystery and can be the rankest of Chinese made junk for all you know.

What brand/model PSU do you have?

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
What makes you suspect the motherboard? with the symptom you've presented a far more likely source is PSU, especially if not one of the upper tier units. Modern motherboards generaly use fairly good quality capacitors since they are on full display. Whatever they used inside your PSU is a mystery and can be the rankest of Chinese made junk for all you know.

What brand/model PSU do you have?
Supercomp Sep 500
I know the psu is really bad,lots of people here tell me to buy a better one,but i cant buy anything because of the lockdown in my country
I tested it with a paper clip and it seemed to be fine
Also,when it receives power,it makes a humming noise,i dont know if it is normal though.
I also tried shorting the Power Pins on the motherboard and it still wont turn on
I have also tried replacing the CMOS Battrey
Btw can a burned ram slot cause this?

I tested it with a paper clip and it seemed to be fine
Paper clip test is an extremely limited test as it's without any sort of load. A defective PSU may refuse to operate when any sort of load is placed on it. Humming the way it is, with no load, also isn't a good sign.
Btw can a burned ram slot cause this?
Yes, it probably means a DIMM was damaged too. A likely scenario is a VRM providing that RAM socket it's voltage shorted out and burned the RAM and it's socket. That could happen if that PSU's +12V voltage regulation degraded to dangerously poor and the VRM couldn't handle it....or something similarly catastrophic.

In short, you could have a damaged motherboard, damaged DIMM and beyond damaged PSU. Hopefully the CPU and GPU were spared. This is the area where you have to be careful because you could have what the techs jokingly refer to as a 'hardware virus'. That's when you replace one defective part in a system with multiple defects and not only does it fail to get it back running but it just burns up the new part. You have to be sure to get all defective parts replaced.

Last edited:
Here's the burned ram slot:https://pasteboard.co/K8XIL4KL.jpg
It got burned when i accidentally installed the ram the wrong way,even the ram is burned but still works
Judging by that pictured I'd say at the very least you've lost the RAM VRM making the motherboard useless. Repair might be possible but probably cost more than another motherboard and if not done properly can end up damaging more parts.

But also don't try to reuse that PSU. It may be the PSU went and took the RAM VRM, or it may be the RAM VRM went and took the PSU. Either way the humming sound it makes with no load is a bad sign especially considering how low-spec it is.

Here's the burned ram slot:https://pasteboard.co/K8XIL4KL.jpg
It got burned when i accidentally installed the ram the wrong way,even the ram is burned but still works

This would have been pertinent information in your initial post. It's time to toss that motherboard. That could have damaged an unknown number of board components. When it shorted. Testing and repair requires specialty equipment. Along with a great deal of knowledge you won't get from forum posts.