what kind of cooling do I need for a quiet build?

Sep 19, 2018
hello, looking to build a quiet pc for vr. I am planning on a 2080ti and a 8600k or 9600k and my case is the fractal define r6.

My biggest concern is noise! modest overclocking is probably going to happen. it doesn't need to be dead quiet, but I would like to have conversations around it while it is under full load and not really notice it.

I can build a custom loop, but I don't want to unless its the best way to go.

air cooling, AIO or custom loop?

Solution
I agree with those above - bigger cooler allows slower fan speeds, which equates into lower noise levels.

Bigger air cooler (be quiet! Dark Rock 4/Pro, Noctua NH14/15, etc)

Large AIO - Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R is my/Tom's Hardware current pick for best 360 AIO.

Full watercooling loop with large rads - most expensive option but most customizable.

Watercooling is a hobby I've been part of for about 16 years now, and I'll continue to use for my builds as long as it is possible to do so. I just find so much zen and pride when building and maintaining a cooling loop...it creates almost an organic PC environment....like a living object with a heart, pulse and lungs.
I am using Fractal Design R4.
If you want a silent PC, the choice of everything in the Pc play a role.
The case R6 should be as good as my R4 or even better from the sound damping part.
You need to choose relatively silent case fans, silent PSU and silent cooling system for the processor and graphic card. All fans should better be speed controlled.

Custom loop cooling is the best but it needs quite a big effort.
For AIO, choose as big as possible but make sure it can still fit into the R6.
For air cooling, it will be the nosier compared to the other options but it is the easiest to handle. If you want to have this solution, pick those one of those giants e.g. Noctua NH-15.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I agree with those above - bigger cooler allows slower fan speeds, which equates into lower noise levels.

Bigger air cooler (be quiet! Dark Rock 4/Pro, Noctua NH14/15, etc)

Large AIO - Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R is my/Tom's Hardware current pick for best 360 AIO.

Full watercooling loop with large rads - most expensive option but most customizable.

Watercooling is a hobby I've been part of for about 16 years now, and I'll continue to use for my builds as long as it is possible to do so. I just find so much zen and pride when building and maintaining a cooling loop...it creates almost an organic PC environment....like a living object with a heart, pulse and lungs.

Solution