Question What kind of CPU temps should I be seeing with a 360mm AIO? I am sitting around 50 C currently with a Ryzen 5

xnick101

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2014
Do my CPU temps seem high? The current room temp is 25-26C. I have a Lian li Galahad 360mm AIO and my temps are somehow worse than they were when I had an air cooler. The current temps in the picture are after 1 hour of playing call of duty but sitting on the desktop with the game closed now. I previously did not go above 65C with my cooler master CPU cooler which was $25. I was expecting it to be a max of 50c but it normally operates at 50-60C.

Build:
Ryzen 5 3600
32 GB of Corsair Vengence Pro ram
Lian Li Dynamic case with 6 fans as intake
Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO with fans pointed as exhaust facing up
Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti

I am sure someone will ask. Yes, I peeled off the sticker on the AIO and put fresh thermal paste on the CPU.

it depends on a lot of factors;
fan curve, case cool air intake & warm air exhaust, pump speeds, etc.
if you aren't exhausting enough of the already warmed air from GPU, disks, RAM, etc
then this warmed air is also heating your radiator on it's way out keeping it from reaching it's full CPU cooling potential.
I was expecting it to be a max of 50c but it normally operates at 50-60C
anything below 60° while gaming or doing any other extensive tasks is actually very good even with a 360mm AIO.

xnick101

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2014
it depends on a lot of factors;
fan curve, case cool air intake & warm air exhaust, pump speeds, etc.

if you aren't exhausting enough of the already warmed air from GPU, disks, RAM, etc
then this warmed air is also heating your radiator on it's way out keeping it from reaching it's full CPU cooling potential.

How can I exhaust out more of the warm air then? Apparently, 9 fans are not enough haha.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried using AIO as intake? then its not sucking in any hot air except from outside.
put it at front and use all the fans as exhaust or whatever. Far better than having AIO act as exhaust for the GPU.

Shouldn't need a 360 for a 3600.
I only have a 240 and idle at 40c or less, with a 3600xt. You would think a 360 could equal that.

Last edited:

xnick101

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2014
you shouldn't have all case fans set as intake.
you want to remove some of the other device's warm air before it reaches the radiator.
try having a rear exhaust with higher RPMs.

From some videos, I've seen with testing this is the best way to set up a lian li dynamic series case. Because there are not front or rear fans. The fans are on top, side, and bottom.

xnick101

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2014
Have you tried using AIO as intake? then its not sucking in any hot air except from outside.
put it at front and use all the fans as exhaust or whatever. Far better than having AIO act as exhaust for the GPU.

Shouldn't need a 360 for a 3600.
I only have a 240 and idle at 40c or less, with a 3600xt. You would think a 360 could equal that.

So when you say have the radiator fans as intake, it would go on top and the radiator would go below the fans, right? Because currently the radiator is on top and the fans are below it blow air up into the radiator.

Colif

Win 11 Master
No, put the AIO on the location on side of PC as intake and put the other fans as exhaust.
https://lian-li.com/product/pc-o11-dynamic/?cn-reloaded=1
put aio mounted vertically with pipes running to top of radiator from pump
whether fans are in push or pull is your choice. I have mine in pull as there isn't much difference between 2.

Don't have radiator on top of pc as intake, move it to side location. Use top location as exhaust, put some of the fans there

My PC with AIO as front intake gets these temps right now
QiwtkJZ.jpg

Last edited:
there are not front or rear fans.
which version do you have?
those that i've seen have a modular rear panel and include one with fan mounting option.

if mounting the radiator on the side i would install it either in a push or a 6 fan push/pull intake setup.
pull has never seemed to work as well for me due to the radiator inhibiting the cool air intake too much.
having bottom fans also as intake and top as exhaust.

xnick101

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2014
No, put the AIO on the location on side of PC as intake and put the other fans as exhaust.
https://lian-li.com/product/pc-o11-dynamic/?cn-reloaded=1
put aio mounted vertically with pipes running to top of radiator from pump
whether fans are in push or pull is your choice. I have mine in pull as there isn't much difference between 2.

Don't have radiator on top of pc as intake, move it to side location. Use top location as exhaust, put some of the fans there

My PC with AIO as front intake gets these temps right now

I had my fans on quiet mode in L Connect. I put the fan curve to normal and now it's getting closer to 40 C. But I will try testing having the radiator on the side

Colif

Win 11 Master
I use the Icue version of quiet mode too, running fans about 700rpm. I can't hear them over the case fans. Still manage below 40c at idle but then I have reverse pressure and 3 exhaust fans so heat doesn't stay in case long.
Only increase fan speed in summer. Or if I want to get below 34c in winter.

Try AIO on side as intake, 3 fans on bottom of case as intake & the 3 on roof as exhaust. That should cool things down.

Reactions: xnick101

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Location of fans is somewhat unimportant normally. Direction of fans is important. So doesn't really make much difference to the rad if fans are in front or behind. Push is slightly better at higher rpm, pull is better at low rpm.

In the Dynamic, side fans are better off as pull, inside of the rad, with the pretty side of the fan facing the rad. Bottom fans should be pull, pretty side of the fans facing down. Top fans should be push, pretty side of the fans facing down.

That's optimum for airflow and cooling, left side of the case being a chimney, pulling from below pushing air and heat straight up. The side fans will pull air through the case and rad restriction better, the exhaust bouncing off the glass case side panel and drifting into the upwards path of airflow from the bottom mounted fans.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The heat from a 3600 isn't massive increase over ambient anyway. GPU doesn't care the air is slightly warmer.

I almost got one of those cases but everyone seemed to have them 2 years ago, and I went with a case that already had fans in it. Saved money at time. One day I will replace them with noctua fans.

Last edited:

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Do my CPU temps seem high? The current room temp is 25-26C. I have a Lian li Galahad 360mm AIO and my temps are somehow worse than they were when I had an air cooler. The current temps in the picture are after 1 hour of playing call of duty but sitting on the desktop with the game closed now. I previously did not go above 65C with my cooler master CPU cooler which was $25. I was expecting it to be a max of 50c but it normally operates at 50-60C.

Build:
Ryzen 5 3600
32 GB of Corsair Vengence Pro ram
Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO with fans pointed as exhaust facing up
Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti

I am sure someone will ask. Yes, I peeled off the sticker on the AIO and put fresh thermal paste on the CPU.

Yes the seem high. My 5950x idles between 42-51c. 16 cores are very warm. You may have have missed a step installing the AIO. Have a look-see to make sure everything was installed correctly. If it looks pretty bad. Clean the CPU and cooler with Isopropyl alcohol. Drop a little and turd of thermal paste on the CPU in the center.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes the seem high. My 5950x idles between 42-51c. 16 cores are very warm.

Not quite. At idle, Ryzens put all cores as inactive, except One. That single core carries the entire load of background processes than an intel will split over all cores. So 40-60°C for a Ryzen at idle is totally normal because software will only read the hottest core, not the entire cpu unless you set it so. Your 5950x has 1 core at 42-51, and that core rotates our every few seconds, all the rest of the cores should be 1-3°C above ambient/case temps ±.

The entire cpu isn't 42-51°C, just one core is, the rest of the cpu will be @ 40°C or below.

The best way to see that is watch real-time HWInfo64 temps, you'll see one core jump speeds and temps, then the next, the next, the next, one at a time.

If Op does that, take note of the temps in unused cores, the Delta between used and unused at idle will give a clue. If it's relatively small Delta, the cpu is truly warm at idle, usually a condition of airflow and ambient case temps. If it's a relatively large Delta, Op has a ton of background tasks happening, starting instead.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Not quite. At idle, Ryzens put all cores as inactive, except One. That single core carries the entire load of background processes than an intel will split over all cores. So 40-60°C for a Ryzen at idle is totally normal because software will only read the hottest core, not the entire cpu unless you set it so. Your 5950x has 1 core at 42-51, and that core rotates our every few seconds, all the rest of the cores should be 1-3°C above ambient/case temps ±.

The entire cpu isn't 42-51°C, just one core is, the rest of the cpu will be @ 40°C or below.

The best way to see that is watch real-time HWInfo64 temps, you'll see one core jump speeds and temps, then the next, the next, the next, one at a time.

If Op does that, take note of the temps in unused cores, the Delta between used and unused at idle will give a clue. If it's relatively small Delta, the cpu is truly warm at idle, usually a condition of airflow and ambient case temps. If it's a relatively large Delta, Op has a ton of background tasks happening, starting instead.
The guy needs a basic understanding not a technical overview. We know what does what the CPU does.I am not a gamer but video and photo processing the 5950x. is not the best gaming CPU but perfect for what I use it for.
Maybe his cooler was not torqued properly, or improper thermal paste application. Many folks cause their own problems from lack of knowledge. A lot of cash is dumped for a "new" hobby.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
You need to give PC more space, if its got intake fans on its right hand side it helps if its got more than a little gap between it and wall. especially if you put AIO on side facing wall.

Never mind, I found them:
https://www.apevia.com/product-cooling/tl612l2s-rgb

These fans... kinda suck, don't they?

I don't find any reviews from places I know, or trust. That probably tells me all I need to know.
wonder what GN doing with their fan tester... but I digress.

They aren't Noctua, thats for sure.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Since ryzen constantly waking a core just to run a task and then rushes back to idle, its kind of pointless watching the CPU socket sensor in HWINFO as they don't show an accurate representation of what rest of CPU cores are doing.
Better to track Core Temperatures in HWINFO as it ignores the spikes. When 5 cores as asleep and only 1 is active, its not accurate to say CPU is top temp if that is just for a few seconds, Core temp is the score I use to see what CPU is doing at a given time.

I tend to find its the same cores used most of time. Since CPU has ones it prefers. Cores 0 & 4 , rest of them sit around doing nothing... like me.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Since ryzen constantly waking a core just to run a task and then rushes back to idle, its kind of pointless watching the CPU socket sensor in HWINFO
Almost. It doesn't constantly anything. All cores inactive, one has full background workload active. Starts at core0/0, few seconds later moves active core to core0/1, then core 1/0,1/1 and on down the line in a regular pattern, hitting each thread successively. By the time that rotation hits core 7/0, cores 0-5 should all be back at equilibrium and all showing the same Hz and roughly same temp±. If you still got temps out of standard, for idle, there's an issue. If all the cores in rotation are hitting 45°C ish, and suddenly 1 core hits 60°C ish, there's a potential problem with that core, possibly paste.

I use CoreTemp as well. It's the same temp as CPU (cxx/tdie) (the top line) except CT doesn't decimal, it rounds up/down to the closest.

At idle, my cores drop to @ 1.3GHz except one, which bounces between 2.2 and 4.2GHz. After a few seconds, that core then drops to 1.3GHz,and the next one down starts bouncing. But thats only at true idle.
We know what does what the CPU does.
No. Most ppl assume a Ryzen behaves like an intel and lowers clocks and voltages on All cores, so idle temps are reflective of the entire cpu, all the cores, so when they see their buddy's intel at 34°C at idle and a Ryzen at 45°C idle they assume every core is active and their cpu is running hot, which it isn't, 15 cores are at 34°C and only 1 is at 45°C, which is entirely different.

If looking at the actual core temps, all of them, and all of them are showing 42-51°C, at idle, then there's an airflow issue, or the pc has enough background tasking that it's refusing to drop into actual idle state (lower than @ 10% cpu usage). If all the cores except 2 or 3 are idle, but those 2 or 3 are very high, it's an obvious paste issue as all but 1 should be low. A core at 1.3GHz and 60°C is showing extreme temp. That core will not be preferred, so during regular use the Ryzen will not use it until it absolutely has to, so doesn't get any hotter.
the 5950x. is not the best gaming CPU but perfect for what I use it for.
The 5950x is a Beast! of a gaming cpu, it's only beaten in a few specific games by the top Intel cpu's and the 5800X3D, but mostly is right there at the top butting heads with the 12900k.

xnick101

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2014
I brought the temps down a lot by putting the fan curve to normal instead of quiet on L-Connect 3 but more importantly, the biggest drop I saw was changing a setting in windows power settings. Changing the minimum processor state to 10% instead of 100% which is what it is set to under the AMD Ryzen high performance power plan. Basically, the CPU was running at 100% all the time even at idle. My temps have been sitting at 33-35 C now and the max was 42 C over a 15-hour period and I see zero change in performance. And all the core temps are the same. They all match.