[SOLVED] What kind of drive is best suited to survive for decades if used infrequently?

Daboa

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
I'd like to store memories on a drive for my child to access when she has grown up. I will probably add files to it once per year; otherwise, it will sit in a fire-proof safe. For this use case, does SSD vs. HDD matter? I'm leaning toward SSD for shock resilience in case it gets bumped while moving or something. I welcome any thoughts or advice. Thanks!
(Yes, I'm also backing up to cloud storage, but I want to back up locally, too.)

Solution
I'd like to store memories on a drive for my child to access when she has grown up. I will probably add files to it once per year; otherwise, it will sit in a fire-proof safe. For this use case, does SSD vs. HDD matter? I'm leaning toward SSD for shock resilience in case it gets bumped while moving or something. I welcome any thoughts or advice. Thanks!
(Yes, I'm also backing up to cloud storage, but I want to back up locally, too.)
With yearly access, either would work fine -- but plan on updating to current device types as connections, etc. change over time.

I have piles of old HDDs that work fine if I attach them to a PCI SCSI card in Windows XP, all 18GB of each drive. In a few more years I'll have nothing left to...

RealBeast

Titan
With yearly access, either would work fine -- but plan on updating to current device types as connections, etc. change over time.

I have piles of old HDDs that work fine if I attach them to a PCI SCSI card in Windows XP, all 18GB of each drive. In a few more years I'll have nothing left to access them. Of course the data was migrated long ago, but you get the idea.

Solution