What kind of hardrive

TheRFSpark

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Hey guys I'm here to ask a question. I'm looking to get a couple new hardrives soon for my pc since I was told you are suppose to replace them every two years to make sure they dont fail on you. I have two seagate 1 tb hardrives that have done me well and still seem to work well. I'm curious if I do really need to replace them every two years or I should be fine to wait a little longer? And also I'm looking to get one of those ssd hard drives. I dont want to pay the price of the ssd but I want to capacity of a hdd but want a little more speed in a couple of things so what kind of hard drive should I get that has both in it? Any feed back is nice. :)

Solution
No, you shouldn't need to replace a HDD every 2 years.
If they are working well i see no reason to replace it. It is kind of ridiculous to put a date on it, as HDD usage is dramatically different between users.

You should ALWAYS be ready for immediately disk failure - keep your pictures and sensitive documents backed up always. Replacing a hard drive every 2 years isn't going to protect you from loss more than a backup.

No, you shouldn't need to replace a HDD every 2 years.
If they are working well i see no reason to replace it. It is kind of ridiculous to put a date on it, as HDD usage is dramatically different between users.

You should ALWAYS be ready for immediately disk failure - keep your pictures and sensitive documents backed up always. Replacing a hard drive every 2 years isn't going to protect you from loss more than a backup.

Solution
The usual build approach is to get a 256 GB SSD for your C drive for the operating system and most-used programs, then have your usual spinning disk for storage for photos/videos/files/music that don't really need fast access speed.

Predicting spinning disk drive life is a crapshoot. Some fail within a few days; some fail anywhere between 2-5 years in. In that sense, you could keep the 2 Seagates you have and put them in a RAID setup to duplicate data between the drives in case one fails, then run them til they die.