[SOLVED] What kind of RAM should I go for? Gaming/Photoshop

matthewh133

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Currently deciding how much I need to spend on RAM and I'm a little lost. I need to upgrade from 32gb to 64gb because I'm maxing out RAM with games/chrome tabs/Lightroom etc open. The rest of my system consists of a 9900k and 3080. What kind of speeds should I go for? I'm told CAS 16 is pretty standard, but I'm looking at G Skill Trident Z and I'm confused if I should spend $468 on 64gb CAS 16 (16-16-16-36) or $360 on CAS 16 (16-19-19-39).

Solution
What motherboard do you have?

The motherboard's documentation should provide information about what RAM modules are supported and in what configurations.

Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website to find your motherboard's User Manual.

Verify that you do have the correct manual for the motherboard model and version. Read all notes and fine print.

Check the manual but it is very likely that the manual will also refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more information and the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) regarding supported components.

You can also go to the RAM manufacturer's websites and see what RAM modules they list as compatible with your motherboard. Again details matter so be sure to look for some...

Ralston18

Titan
What motherboard do you have?

The motherboard's documentation should provide information about what RAM modules are supported and in what configurations.

Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website to find your motherboard's User Manual.

Verify that you do have the correct manual for the motherboard model and version. Read all notes and fine print.

Check the manual but it is very likely that the manual will also refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more information and the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) regarding supported components.

You can also go to the RAM manufacturer's websites and see what RAM modules they list as compatible with your motherboard. Again details matter so be sure to look for some consensus regarding any specific specs such as you have listed above.

Solution