What kind of UPS should I buy?

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
Good afternoon,

I've built a PC, using the brilliant advice and support I received on this website, and it's gone beautifully. Now, it's been about 3 1/2 months, the computer works and runs like a dream, and I'm absolutely thrilled.

My main issue is that power in my area can fluctuate, especially during the cold winters when demand for heating spikes. I've been looking into getting a UPS because I was gaming and the power went out... I was pretty worried about the well-being of my computer. Currently, I am using a surge protector, but I would like to have a bit more peace of mind and figured a UPS might provide that.

Here are my specs:

Asus Z97-A
i5 4460
GTX 760 2Gb
8Gb Crucial Ballistix Ram
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 Watts (or possibly 850, but I think it was 750)

I was hoping I might be able to ask for some advice when choosing a UPS... I don't really know much about them and am not sure how to choose. I guess compatibility, performance, and reliability are the key concerns for me. My price range is a max of $200 but I'd possibly consider exceeding that. Ideally, I'd be looking at $100-$150.

Thank you for your time.

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

That's an incredible price! But there won't be any compatibility issues or anything? Can there even be compatibility issues? APC seems like a very high quality and reliable company, from what I've read. Thank you very much for the detailed recommendation.

TheMentalist

Distinguished
Solution

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going to compare the two for a bit before deciding.. But since gaming is my main use for my PC, I'm guessing the first is more than enough. Thank you again for the detailed suggestions :).

MrCanEHdian

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014

Update: I ended up buying the second, more expensive one you recommended. On their website, UPS suggested the first would support 400 watts for a minute or two while the second could support 600 watts for almost 10 minutes. I figured the extra 50 dollars or so might save me psychological and financial pain down the road.

Thank you again for your help. It is much appreciated.