Question What laptop charger /PSU can/should i get for my Asus TUF Fx504GM laptop

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
so basically i got that laptop (asus tuf FX504GM) from amazon a few years back as just a backup incase i was away from my main PC or it died ( which it did yesterday) and i have never realy used the laptop. maybe 20 hours total. but whenever i used it it seemed to have terrible performance. like it couldn't even run Genshin Impact on lowest settings (it was getting like 5fps and freezing every few second) and i can run that on my kinda crappy phone. whelp turns out the power supply provided was a 2.1A one and the laptop is rated up to 7.7A i took it to a shop and they tested it on a 6.2A charger and it rocked in performance. so i am now looking to by a 7.7 A charger, but i cant tell if they will be compatible or not. like dose the size of the charging jack plug thing matter? cause all the ones i found all have slightly different sizes ranging from like 3x2mm to 5x4 and lots of increments in between and i duno if that matters or not.
i kind of forgot toms existed and ended up just buying one to test out. got this one in the end
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VSFW594/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
think that will work? Or any suggestions on what to go for or what specs are important (meaning the jack size or whatever it's called)?

Last edited:

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
The time to ask is BEFORE you buy.
I would have suggested that you buy one from the shop that tested and did well for you.
Lol yeah obviously :p but as I mentioned forgot this place existed. I asked elsewhere and their response was too slow. need something asap. And again obviously I asked the shop first. But that was the only 6A they had and it was not for sale as it was for testing. Ideally I want a 7.7 A anyway.
And I can always return this one if it's not good.
Now dose anyone actually know what will work or nah? :p

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
You don't need to find a charger with the exact amperage. As long as the charger provides as much or more at the voltage the input requires, it'll work.
as much or more what? i know it doesn't need the exact amount as i said it was using a 2A and i already tested a 6 A my thinking was that if 2 was bad performance and 6 was better, surely 7.7A will be better than 6. which would be preferable if there is not much difference in price. so great now could someone plz tel me how the plug in jack works :D thats all i realy want to know. how do i know which one will fit and work. and there isnt any other thing i need to know that might casue the laptop to explode or anything? other than that i am fine thanks :D

as much or more what? i know it doesn't need the exact amount as i said it was using a 2A and i already tested a 6 A my thinking was that if 2 was bad performance and 6 was better, surely 7.7A will be better than 6. which would be preferable if there is not much difference in price. so great now could someone plz tel me how the plug in jack works :D thats all i realy want to know. how do i know which one will fit and work. and there isnt any other thing i need to know that might casue the laptop to explode or anything? other than that i am fine thanks :D
As much or more amps than what the input requires. So you can get a 12A charger and the laptop will be fine with it, because it'll only use up to 7.7A. You must however, match the output voltage of the charger to the input voltage of the laptop, plus or minus about 10%. So if your laptop requires say 19V, you must find a charger that outputs 19+/- 0.2V.

I would not recommend using a charger that provides lower amperage than what the laptop requires, because that could end up breaking the charger either due to repeated OCP trips or outright melting down because it's being asked to produce more amps than it can actually make. The best outcome though is if the laptop can figure out it's connected to a lower power charger and will lower its power limit to match, but I would not assume this is a standard feature if using third party chargers. I'll make an exception to this if the laptop is using the manufacturer's charger (e.g., Dell laptops can use Dell chargers that provide less power, because Dell's chargers have smarts in them to tell the laptop how much power it can deliver) or specifically has a provision to use something lower power (my ASUS laptop can take a 65W USB-C charger, despite normally requiring a 180W charger).

As far as if the barrel plug will fit or not, barrel plugs are typically fitted to the voltage they provide. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector#Listing_of_DC_coaxial_connectors

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
As much or more amps than what the input requires. So you can get a 12A charger and the laptop will be fine with it, because it'll only use up to 7.7A. You must however, match the output voltage of the charger to the input voltage of the laptop, plus or minus about 10%. So if your laptop requires say 19V, you must find a charger that outputs 19+/- 0.2V.

I would not recommend using a charger that provides lower amperage than what the laptop requires, because that could end up breaking the charger either due to repeated OCP trips or outright melting down because it's being asked to produce more amps than it can actually make. The best outcome though is if the laptop can figure out it's connected to a lower power charger and will lower its power limit to match, but I would not assume this is a standard feature if using third party chargers. I'll make an exception to this if the laptop is using the manufacturer's charger (e.g., Dell laptops can use Dell chargers that provide less power, because Dell's chargers have smarts in them to tell the laptop how much power it can deliver) or specifically has a provision to use something lower power (my ASUS laptop can take a 65W USB-C charger, despite normally requiring a 180W charger).

As far as if the barrel plug will fit or not, barrel plugs are typically fitted to the voltage they provide. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector#Listing_of_DC_coaxial_connectors
Ahhh right. very helpfull thank you. I will look into those and get back to Yall :)

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
You don't need to find a charger with the exact amperage. As long as the charger provides as much or more at the voltage the input requires, it'll work.
welp that 'theory' didnt work..... all the specs where exaclt ythe same voltage curent and whatnot all exactly the same. plug in jack completely wrong, no where near. lie 1/2 the thickness and 1.5 times the length.
im just gona go back to teh shop and ask them

welp that 'theory' didnt work..... all the specs where exaclt ythe same voltage curent and whatnot all exactly the same. plug in jack completely wrong, no where near. lie 1/2 the thickness and 1.5 times the length.
im just gona go back to teh shop and ask them
This is a physical connection issue then, rather than an electrical one. And looking at the table, it does seem to upset the general rule that a barrel plug should match the voltages, as the table does list specific dimensions used by some system builders.

But if you can convert the plug to one that fits your laptop, then it should work. Though that's not a really good idea either.

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
This is a physical connection issue then, rather than an electrical one. And looking at the table, it does seem to upset the general rule that a barrel plug should match the voltages, as the table does list specific dimensions used by some system builders.

But if you can convert the plug to one that fits your laptop, then it should work. Though that's not a really good idea either.
Yup. I finnaly managed to find what I am 90% sure are the specs for my laptop. And It was listed as having. A 5.5x2.5mm plug in thing. So I found another charger same. 150w 19.5V 7.7A but with. 5.5x2.5 plug. Arrives tomorrow hopefully this sorts it :D