what laptop for aerospace engineering or is mine adequate?

Nov 30, 2019
I just purchased the asus TUF FX505DD Gaming laptop AMD Ryzen 7 3750H processor, 8GB RAM-1TB SSHD 3GB GeForce GTX1050 Graphics but I am not sure if it suitable or not. These are the requirements from my school:

We recommend:

-a CPU that supports virtualization (Check for Intel VT-x, AMD-V, or VIA VT support)
-You can choose the CPU, Intel and AMD CPU’s are the most popular. The more CPU cores the better; 4 or more cores are recommended
-your choice of operating system: Mac OS, Windows or Linux
-most operating systems will run with a minimum of 4 GB of RAM; 8 GB or more are recommended
-Solid State Drives (SSD’s) are faster than spinning drives and are recommended
*Many CPU’s support virtualization but some like ‘atom’ processors (typically found in netbooks) do not. Please check with your vendor or the manufacturer that your CPU does support
virtualization.*

Virtualization
Your operating system can run software that will run virtual machines (VM’s). VM’s allow you to run multiple operating systems on your computer. In order to use this technology your CPU will need to support virtualization. You will need to contact the vendor or look at the manufacturer documentation to determine if your processor supports virtualization.

For virtualization your processor must support one of:

Intel VT-x,
AMD-V
VIA VT

I am also using it for gaming but for school of course is the priority. Thanks :)

There are two things that laptop does not have from that list of recommendations.
-I think Ryzen 7 3750H does not support AMD-V (check BIOS)
-A Solid State Drive (SSD) which is a lot faster that a SSHD disk

Look for a laptop with Ryzen 2700x, which supports AMD-V

Last edited: