What laptop should I get for college?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyro812

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
I will be going to college this fall for Computer Engineering Technologies. I have about $800 to spend on a laptop (Before any warranties factored in, I have extra money saved in reserve for that). I was just curious as to what some people who have experienced college may recommend.

Details
- I already have a well above average desktop coming with me
- I would prefer around a 13in
- No Apple devices
- Nothing from Dell (Long story, major grudge held towards them)
- HP x360 seems to be top contender right now

If anyone has any recommendations of a higher priced system then I would be willing to save and spend some more as I do have a job. I already know of some good lookin machines, I was just curious what some people may recommend. Laptop will probably be mostly used for notes with Google Docs and maybe the occasional Photoshop-level program as I said I alread have a more than capable desktop for any major workloads (i7-4790k - 250gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 16gb 1866mhz - 980ti Hybrid) Also would like to hear about anyone whos experienced Chromebooks. :)

Solution
I'd stay away from Chromebooks or any "light" system like the Stream ones.

The x360 is a convertible tablet, is that what you are looking at?

For higher end builds, Lenovo X models are good, although pretty much at the top of your $800 budget. For driver support and build construction, nothing much out there can beat them. Also the new ThinkPad 13 looks good although I've never worked with one of those before http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/13-series/13-windows/ I'd avoid cheaper stuff at school, too much moving the thing around, you want a solid build.
I'd stay away from Chromebooks or any "light" system like the Stream ones.

The x360 is a convertible tablet, is that what you are looking at?

For higher end builds, Lenovo X models are good, although pretty much at the top of your $800 budget. For driver support and build construction, nothing much out there can beat them. Also the new ThinkPad 13 looks good although I've never worked with one of those before http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/13-series/13-windows/ I'd avoid cheaper stuff at school, too much moving the thing around, you want a solid build.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.