What laptop should I get?

synor

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hi,

I'm beginning a degree in software engineering and I wonder what laptop I should get. We will do a lot of java, using mostly Eclipse, and Microsoft Visual Studio. I'm currently programming Android applications on a HP G6. I actually don't know what would last for 3 years. I try to avoid some brands like Acer, Samsung, Sony... I'd like an Asus or Lenovo with Intel cpu.
I've watched for i3 with 4gb of ram, Will it be enough? Should I get an i5?
I would also prefer if the laptop was under 15.6". I have a larger screen at home and plug it when I get back from school.

I'm also not a gamer, I do not need a good graphics card.
If it was not for programming stuff, I'd stick with an i3, because I only use my laptop for Word, Facebook and stuff like that...

Any idea of what would be good for me?

My budget is very limited, under 700$ would be great.

Thanks!

(Sorry for my english, it's not my native language!)

Solution
Well i3 with 4GB RAM has a similar performance that of an i5 with 2Gb RAM, in other words, i3 with higher RAM will suite you.

Since you are doing software engineering , there is no need to go for higher processing power, considering the brands I would like to recommend TOSHIBA or ASUS, both are very reliable. Please also consider the fact that if your study involves graphics then i would sudjest a AMD processor based laptop

Senaka Dhishnath

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Well i3 with 4GB RAM has a similar performance that of an i5 with 2Gb RAM, in other words, i3 with higher RAM will suite you.

Since you are doing software engineering , there is no need to go for higher processing power, considering the brands I would like to recommend TOSHIBA or ASUS, both are very reliable. Please also consider the fact that if your study involves graphics then i would sudjest a AMD processor based laptop

Solution