[SOLVED] What Linux distro to use? I am a beginner to linux and I have an old PC.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KKMasterYT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Hello all. So today, I have thought today of changing to Linux cause my hardware is going too old overtime very quickly and isn't capable of running Windows 10 at a very good speed with the best performance settings applied possibly that I can change... So that's the reason I am now wanting to switch to Linux.

But here, the problem is that I am totally a newbie to Linux, that I don't know about any commands and what they do. And it is also worth mentioning that I have a very old PC that is not very good. So I want a lightweight Linux distribution made for beginners.

I expect these features:
-) Has a desktop environment out-of-the-box
-) Is easy to install apps ie. has an app store (like Gnome Software)
-) Doesn't need to type commands for daily usage (Uninstalling apps, Update settings, Get reports of hardware, etc..)
-) Is very lightweight in resource consumption

My PC's specifications are:
-) Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Dual-Core Processor clocked at 2.00GhZ
-) 2GB DDR2-333MhZ RAM
-) 256MB Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family
-) 160GB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda HDD (To be honest, I am not willing to cheap out on storage to install the OS, more information below)
-) 1366x768@60Hz Resolution support

So what I will be doing first is, I will install the distro you recommended aside Windows 10 for Dual Booting and if I am satisfied, I will clean install my PC with the Linux distro. So I want a Linux Distro that is good for beginners and is lightweight! I recommend any distro that is around 4GB of size but not higher than 5GB.

Thank you,
Best,
Krish KM.

Solution
Guys, leave the old topics. So is Lubuntu good to go for me as a beginner?
Yes
-) 2GB DDR2-333MhZ RAM
-) 160GB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda HDD (To be honest, I am not willing to cheap out on storage to install the OS, more information below)
I have a very similar rig at my parents house, a Celeron E3400 w/ 4Gb ram and an HD 4670 1gb that is currently running Lubuntu and Steam for some old-school gaming (CS:GO, HL2 and the like) with an old 1280x1024 VGA monitor.

Also works as a pseudo-HTPC with a second screen connected to an old 720P HDTV...

reggyboy61

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Not the ones mentioned but in the past I have used Ubuntu and Elementary and without doubt Mint'is the easiest to get used to . Iv'e heard good reports about Peppermint too, which is also easy to use and good for older less powerful systems but my desktop system is 6 years old and only running an I3 3220 and has no problem dual booting W8 pro and Mint19.1.
Might also be worth posting in Linux forum to ask for suggestions.I won't put link here not sure it's allowed but the forum I use is run by a fella who is part of the team that built and maintains Peppermint so always great info.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

KKMasterYT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Not the ones mentioned but in the past I have used Ubuntu and Elementary and without doubt Mint'is the easiest to get used to . Iv'e heard good reports about Peppermint too, which is also easy to use and good for older less powerful systems but my desktop system is 6 years old and only running an I3 3220 and has no problem dual booting W8 pro and Mint19.1.
Might also be worth posting in Linux forum to ask for suggestions.I won't put link here not sure it's allowed but the forum I use is run by a fella who is part of the team that built and maintains Peppermint so always great info.
Hope this helps.
Have you used linux before and have been used to commands and stuff? I want the stuff like desktop environment out of the box or atleast but not the thing, very few and easy commands to install one.. So if you are already a linux-ian, then probs thats why u are used to mint. Cause many people just tell Mint is like somewhat a bit complex. Have you used MX Linux or Lubuntu though? And yeah, welp... My PC is 12 years old :D

KKMasterYT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
After reading this post, I'm curious which one you went with? Or did you try out multiply ones and just find the shoes that fit?
I am just curious, I will have to do it, but I did a thousand tweaks and now I have my PC running faster than even Windows 7 will using Windows 10! But I think due to not much answers and this post is old, I'm making a final poll and I'll see which will get alot of votes. I will go for it then. Hope this is a good resource for someone out there.

May 31, 2019
Hello all. So today, I have thought today of changing to Linux cause my hardware is going too old overtime very quickly and isn't capable of running Windows 10 at a very good speed with the best performance settings applied possibly that I can change... So that's the reason I am now wanting to switch to Linux.

But here, the problem is that I am totally a newbie to Linux, that I don't know about any commands and what they do. And it is also worth mentioning that I have a very old PC that is not very good. So I want a lightweight Linux distribution made for beginners.

I expect these features:
-) Has a desktop environment out-of-the-box
-) Is easy to install apps ie. has an app store (like Gnome Software)
-) Doesn't need to type commands for daily usage (Uninstalling apps, Update settings, Get reports of hardware, etc..)
-) Is very lightweight in resource consumption

-) 2GB DDR2-333MhZ RAM

So what I will be doing first is, I will install the distro you recommended aside Windows 10 for Dual Booting and if I am satisfied, I will clean install my PC with the Linux distro. So I want a Linux Distro that is good for beginners and is lightweight! I recommend any distro that is around 4GB of size but not higher than 5GB.

Thank you,
Best,
Krish KM.

Over the past couple years I have given a test-drive to around twenty distros, via LiveCD mode. As a XP Pro user, the only ones I found suitable (as in ease of use) was MX Linux, Linux Mint, AntiX, and TAILS. So far as I know, all of these are considered middleweights. All the lightweight distros I tried (such as Puppy, Elementary, Bodhi, etc.) are not the least bit intuitive, do not connect to the internet on their own, and are generally a total pain to use. Frankly I doubt you will get both lightweight and easy to use. I didn't, and put some effort into it. Just increase your RAM to 4GB, and your problem should be solved. I went from 4GB to 8GB for like $50.

I got a used Dell Optiplex 755 off Ebay for about $120, including a HP L1706 monitor. Took it to the local computer shop, had them do a nasties purge (none found), switch out the CD-ROM for a DVD burner, up the RAM, and install a mobile-rack in the empty 5.25 bay for like $130. My corporate version of XP Pro that came preinstalled has been getting it done for over two years now, plus I can run Linux LiveCDs for online shopping/banking, and I can install MX Linux on my secondary HDD if I ever want.

Status
Not open for further replies.