What liquid cooling is compatible with Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failmora

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
Hi,

I was wondering what are some of the the GPU liquid cooling that is compatible with Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960?

DasHotShot

Honorable
Without knowing further background as to why you would want to liquid cool a mid range gaming card...

You will not find a customized solution for that card specifically as it is like asking "Where can I find racing slicks for my Ford F-150...". People don't Watercool this card as it is more expensive than getting a faster card simply.

If you did insist...NZXT make a thing called "Kraken" which is a bracket that can hold say an h80 or h100 closed look watercooler in place.

EK will give you a universally applicable waterblock too.

However all of this is a lot of effort for very little potential gain. You may just want to upgrade the card if you need more performance buddy

moopco

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
There sure are plenty of self righteous snot bags around here.

Im also looking for a watercooling solution for my 960, so I can cut down on noise, nothing to do with performance, I just find the whine of the fans included with gigabytes itx solution horrible.

Can anyone answer this question, instead of imagining my needs and giving an answer to a different question?

DasHotShot

Honorable

There is no market for cooling solutions which cost 50% or MORE than the components which is supposed to be cooled...not for GPU's anyway.

The point is, they design these for cards costing at least 3x or more than the cooler would, for there to be a balance. Very few people will spend 100-150 dollars to cool a 200 dollar GPU...

I hope this makes sense and makes you less angry.

moopco

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Someone with a titan is talking to me about diminishing returns? what?

No, this is for my mini-itx pc (in a coolermaster elite 110) the 960 wasn't chose for it's price point, but because it was the fastest dx12 compatible mini-itx board currently available. Please stop assuming money is important to everyone.

The ek/kraken isn't listed as compatible with the 960.

So, the question still stands, thanks for nothing though :^)

DasHotShot

Honorable
Who is being an unthankful "snotbag" now?

I guess once more with the closed loop adapters not being compatible, it further proves my point that what you want isn't available and for a good reason. There is no point in having it!

"Please stop assuming money is important to everyone." - Money is the ONLY thing important to the companies making components and solutions for PC gamers you half-wit. It's what drives the entire market and makes all of what we are discussing even possible.

If you're too thick to understand my explanation as to why there is such a LACK of possibilities to WC your low end GPU then my work is done here.

I set out to help you and you insult me. So have it that way then. There is no incentive for me to spend time trying to help you out, with your absurd manner of response

EDIT: -FOR ALL OTHER USERS READING THIS- If you really wanted to get your WC on and cut down on noise etc there are ways to custom build all of this or adapt parts designed for other boards...PM me

newtowatercooling

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014

i have a 760 from gigabtye which has horrible coil whine was told thats not a rma reason unless its effecting the cards performance

newtowatercooling

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014
its not

nothing under a 970 is worth watercooling failmora if you could find a block it would just be a cpu one since i looked and havent found anyone making a 960 full cover get a 970 is only about another 100$ then you could water cool it

inspector71

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I do not see any problem watercooling GTX 960's. If these folks wanna watercool the let them do it instead of telling them it is not worth it for a midrange card. They are asking what watercoolers are compatible with the card. It is their computers not your'e PC.

DasHotShot

Honorable

They came here to ask for compatible coolers.

We aren't the ones telling them what to do. The manufacturers/the market is!

If nobody makes a dedicated cooler and the only known options that "could" work cost near to what the card itself costs, then MAYBE...just MAYBE it isn't such a great idea?`

Rather than attack the people in the know for delivering the bad news, people should rethink and and accept the reasons why their dream/idea isn't practical in the real world and look for alternative solutions. Some of which were also suggested by the helpful and now slightly vexed commentators on this thread...

Joseph Howle

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

Let me provide you the best answer possible here since I have two GeForce 960's running SLi in my PC. As other people mentioned, it is really is not cost effective to water cool such a card. However though, there is a better solution to you noise situation. Firstly, I am not sure if the gigbyte card has the same feature or not but my cards as EVGA brand and they have a switch labeled master and slave which comes factory set in the master position which sets the bios to turn on the cards fan when the temp reaches 60 degrees Celsius and when it comes on, the fan runs at top speed which is noisy. After some reading, I found that is setting the switch to the slave position, the fans follow a temp curve which tries to keep the car below 60 degrees Celsius and the seldom ever become so noisy. A secondary solution is to go into the bios and set the PICE slot of the card to run at 8x instead of 16x. You may scoff at this notion but please allow me to explain why this is legitimate.

The mother board I run, is an EVGA Z97 Classified which is capable of running a 4-way SLi. and it can also run two cards at 16x if desired. Initially, I had my card set in this manner but I began to notice a heat and noise problem and the cards would alternate on which card was getting super hot. I ended up contact EVGA and NVidia for a solution and they both explained to me that for an SLi setup, the cards require an 8x solution. They can utilize 16x but the cards only use 8 lanes. They also elaborated on a single card setup and they said that even a single car runs best at 8x. Essentially, all NVidia cards are designed to run at 8x. Taking their advice, and switching my board to run the cards at 8x, my issues all went away. I have no more heat problem, my fans barely run and the cards seem to balance the work load better.

Proof to the above is that if I run 3Dmark, my cards can achieve greater than 2000 FPS on the bottom three tests and I achieve this result no matter if they are at 16x or at 8x. The only difference between either setting is that the cards don't get as hot in 8x. There is also no difference in performance between 16x and 8x settings.

Spooky999

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Erm just to point out the G10 fits cards much cheaper in price then the GTX 960 such as the R9 270 or even the GTX 560 its just down to how all the pieces are configured on the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.