Question What liquid cooling parts do I need?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
Hello. I'm using the Amazon.com: Alphacool 11286 Eisbaer 360 CPU - Black Water Cooling Kits, Systems and AIOs: Computers & Accessories but the tubes don't reach the front of my pc case. Someone recommended to me I extend the tubes and add this: Amazon.com: Alphacool 15273 Eisstation VPP - Solo Reservoir Water Cooling Reservoirs: Computers & Accessories so it will reach and said it's needed to avoid air pockets in the extended lines. The issue is, I'm not sure of what parts I need to make this work. What tubes and fittings and parts do I need? Thanks as always. The people here have always been a great help.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I mean, that's true. I guess I'm so used to using fan controllers that run off Sata or Molex power that this would be a good argument.

OK, so backing up - do you have any adapters which could be used to power the pump from Sata, etc? Otherwise, you might have to do this the old fashioned way and actually try to boot your machine. This might come with a bit different set of configuration.

Disconnect SATA data cables to motherboard - helps prevent SSD/HDD issues with repeated start/stops. Could also remove m.2 SSD as well.

Could remove GPU, would be recommendation.

Paper towels everywhere on hardware (probably should be default for anyone anyway)

Fill reservoir as full as possible, leave uncapped.

Plug in ATX cable to motherboard.

Power on system - be ready to turn off power as soon as reservoir is almost empty.

Follow steps previously on fill/cycle until full. Once the loop can run constantly and move coolant, slowly fill reservoir until 90% or so filled, leave uncapped and run for few moments.

Power off PC.

Install GPU, drives/cables, etc.

Be mindful of paper towels, can leave most in place if you feel it is needed.

Power on, check system for system boot up. Should get to OS just fine.

Check coolant levels - let system run with reservoir vented for 30 mins or so.

Power down. Cap reservoir.

Power on, tilt and rock case to dislodge air to reservoir - vent reservoir as soon as tilting process complete.

After about 60 mins, cap and just keep close eye on system for a while. Might see occasional air bubble come to reservoir and displace coolant. Top off reservoir as needed.

If you are constantly topping off the reservoir, you likely have a leak.

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
I mean, that's true. I guess I'm so used to using fan controllers that run off Sata or Molex power that this would be a good argument.

OK, so backing up - do you have any adapters which could be used to power the pump from Sata, etc? Otherwise, you might have to do this the old fashioned way and actually try to boot your machine. This might come with a bit different set of configuration.

Disconnect SATA data cables to motherboard - helps prevent SSD/HDD issues with repeated start/stops. Could also remove m.2 SSD as well.

Paper towels everywhere on hardware (probably should be default for anyone anyway)

Power on system - be ready to turn off power as soon as reservoir is almost empty.

Follow steps previously on fill/cycle until full. Once the loop can run constantly and move coolant, slowly fill reservoir until 90% or so filled, leave uncapped and run for few moments.

Power off PC.

Power on, tilt and rock case to dislodge air to reservoir - vent reservoir as soon as tilting process complete.

After about 60 mins, cap and just keep close eye on system for a while. Might see occasional air bubble come to reservoir and displace coolant. Top off reservoir as needed.

Apparently I do have a sata fan controller on my case that I can use.

Power off PC.

Apparently I do have fan controller which i should be able to use. I want to ask about my reservoir I bought. It seems to be one that works with a pump, problem is that I don't have a pump for it and if you look at the picture of the underside of it, it has a hole. Is this a problem?

Amazon.com: Alphacool 15273 Eisstation VPP - Solo Reservoir Water Cooling Reservoirs: Computers & Accessories

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016

Power off PC.

I finally have everything I need I think. I decided not to use a reservoir since the alphacool eisbaer has a built in one over the pump. I filled it to the best of my ability and I think I have all the air bubbles inside the reservoir now. I added pre-treatment and I'm letting it pump for a day. I didn't hook the fans up since I'm guessing I don't need them to circulate the pre-treatment.

I have a couple questions though. My radiator is going to go above the pump and reservoir. When this happens won't the air bubbles displace back into the radiator? How do I know when I have all the air bubbles inside the reservoir? How do I drain the pretreatment before I add the coolant? Is there anything else I need to know? Thanks

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
What is the pretreatment - is it a coolant flush?

When this happens won't the air bubbles displace back into the radiator?

Possibly, if there is still air in your cooling loop.

How do I know when I have all the air bubbles inside the reservoir?

Put the PC in a position where you can open the fill cap. If there is space between the coolant level and the cap, there is air in the reservoir.

How do I drain the pretreatment before I add the coolant?

Presumably the same way you drained the coolant to fill with the pretreatment? I guess I've never used a pretreatment, so not sure what you are using here for this step. (or why)

Is there anything else I need to know?

Most of this should start to make sense as you see your progress through each step. Much of this is just knowing what to look for, which is sometimes difficult to explain until you see it, such as the coolant level in your reservoir and the volume of air in the loop based on getting as much air as you can to collect to the reservoir. Sometimes this is tricky to do and might be difficult to do 100% but most of it is diligence on your part and being careful not to spill coolant.

Small loops without a dedicated reservoir can be tricky, but they aren't impossible.

Victel

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
What is the pretreatment - is it a coolant flush?

Possibly, if there is still air in your cooling loop.

Put the PC in a position where you can open the fill cap. If there is space between the coolant level and the cap, there is air in the reservoir.

Presumably the same way you drained the coolant to fill with the pretreatment? I guess I've never used a pretreatment, so not sure what you are using here for this step. (or why)

Most of this should start to make sense as you see your progress through each step. Much of this is just knowing what to look for, which is sometimes difficult to explain until you see it, such as the coolant level in your reservoir and the volume of air in the loop based on getting as much air as you can to collect to the reservoir. Sometimes this is tricky to do and might be difficult to do 100% but most of it is diligence on your part and being careful not to spill coolant.

Small loops without a dedicated reservoir can be tricky, but they aren't impossible.

It's called systprep loop pre-treatment. My loop has a reservoir but the radiator is going to be fitted to the top of the case above the pump and reservoir. Do I want the air bubbles to be in the radiator and not in the reservoir as it's above everything?

What makes it particularly tricky? I assume as long as I get the air at the highest point it's fine, right? Why would I need a second reservoir when I already have one above the pump?