What Liquid Cooling Should I Consider?

Chad Fuller

Reputable
May 20, 2014
I have been formulating a build for some time. I am not getting the parts until the end of summer and won't have the money needed (budget $2,000 ish) until then. I want to leave the option of overclocking open, though I am only 65%-70% sure i will do it. I currently have picked a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for my CPU fan. I think liquid cooling would be nice because some seem to take up minimal space (radiator,fan, and part that goes over CPU only). Is there any good quality liquid cooling that would only be around $100? Is it worth it if I only have $100 of space in my budget for it? Would it be better to just use the Hyper 212 EVO and use the $100 elsewhere in my build. Additional note: the only thing i didn't incorporate into my build is a headset so is (pcpartpicker link->) my build good enough? or should i use the $100 somewhere (like cooler)? or should i use it for a headset?

First off, that CPU cant overclock. You need a K-edition chip if you want access to the CPU multiplier. That chip you have there, you would only have access to the older means of overclocking, so things like the base clock and memory bus, which get you nowhere near as far.
Second, I recommend you dont get RAM that comes with hair-combs glued to them. It may not be an issue now, but who knows how that RAM will be used down the line. Go for a Low Profile kit, heat spreaders on RAM are useless, DDR3 just doesn't get hot like DDR2 used too.

Whether to get a CLC (because for $100 your not getting a custom loop) or not depends on your overclocking ambitions. That 212 EVO will comfortably take you to ~4.2Ghz on a 4670k, if you dont plan to clock further than that then you dont need beefier cooling (nor do you need such an expensive mobo really).
Of course you could get something like a H100i for aesthetic purposes (or even logistical, because those hair combs will get in the way of a beefier heatsink), but then its a personal question that I cant answer for you.

Chad Fuller

Reputable
May 20, 2014

no i was gonna replace it with a liquid cooler

Chad Fuller

Reputable
May 20, 2014

I know about the CPU, I'm getting the K version (Devil's Canyon) when it comes out. I only needed advice on cooling but put my whole build on there so someone could get a better idea of what I'm working with. I should have added that, my bad.

About heat spreaders, the only reason I wanted them is because I thought they would be useful but I will go low-profile.

I'm getting an expensive motherboard for it's features (It's an ROG board). One main one being good integrated features like wifi (i may not have access to an ethernet cable right away), and good sound.