[SOLVED] What looks wrong with this?

Bambam47

Honorable
Apr 8, 2015
pnNosmtmj
pmKlZ3MXj
pl18vb0dj

So my home Ethernet never works in my house from the wall plugs so can anyone tell what looks wrong in these pictures to help me fix it. Pictures are of the basement closet and the router is upstairs in the living room.

Solution
It looks like you have structured wiring. It's not setup for an Ethernet network. Probably was used for a security system or the previous owner had a lot of phones. Assuming the wiring on the other side of those modules is CAT 5 or betterEthernet cable. You'll need to pull those structured wiring panels and rewire the cables on both ends with RJ45 keystone jacks. The panel end and the wall jack.

I know it seems like the cables should work. Those are RJ31X jacks not RJ45. They seem the same but the wiring is different.

You'll also need a tone tester to help you trace all those cable to their jacks. Just to make sure you don't rewire the wrong thing and try to plug it into your switch. If this also goes to a box owned by the phone...
It looks like you have structured wiring. It's not setup for an Ethernet network. Probably was used for a security system or the previous owner had a lot of phones. Assuming the wiring on the other side of those modules is CAT 5 or betterEthernet cable. You'll need to pull those structured wiring panels and rewire the cables on both ends with RJ45 keystone jacks. The panel end and the wall jack.

I know it seems like the cables should work. Those are RJ31X jacks not RJ45. They seem the same but the wiring is different.

You'll also need a tone tester to help you trace all those cable to their jacks. Just to make sure you don't rewire the wrong thing and try to plug it into your switch. If this also goes to a box owned by the phone company. You'll want to disconnect that cable before doing anything. Usually there is a box for the phone company outside the house with an opening for the home owner to disconnect their house and an opening for the phone company you aren't allowed to touch.

Solution