[SOLVED] What low profile gpu would you recommend

Solution
It should just fit, assuming they are the same form factor. You will need to make sure to plug everything in correctly to the motherboard, but it should just be as simple as matching up the new cables with how the old ones were plugged in. One thing to check is if the PSU will have a PCIe power connector, preferable a 6+2 (total of 8 pin) one.

I'm pretty sure the PSU will have only a 6 pin PCIe power connector, which will be fine for a GTX 1650 Super (150-175 USD) however if you want the next size of up of GPU like the GTX 1660 Super (220-250 USD) you will either need to try and see if the card will run with just the 6 pin plugged into the 8 pin connector ( some will some wont) or buy a 6pin-8pin adapter cable.

These cables can be...
The issue with that computer isn't really size as so much the fact it only has a 180 watt PSU. Meaning there is pretty much no graphics card that would work in it.

It says its a small form factor PSU however I dont know if uses a standard small form factor PSU like SFX. Can you .
found this thread talking about upgrading the PSU in it, https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrade-PSU-help/td-p/7091520

you will need a minimum 400 watter PSU to add any real graphic card

Reactions: GimmeThatMtnDew
Feb 7, 2020
The issue with that computer isn't really size as so much the fact it only has a 180 watt PSU. Meaning there is pretty much no graphics card that would work in it.

It says its a small form factor PSU however I dont know if uses a standard small form factor PSU like SFX. Can you .
found this thread talking about upgrading the PSU in it, https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrade-PSU-help/td-p/7091520

you will need a minimum 400 watter PSU to add any real graphic card
so if a got a 400watt psu, it would just fit in? Or would the motherboard be an issue?

It should just fit, assuming they are the same form factor. You will need to make sure to plug everything in correctly to the motherboard, but it should just be as simple as matching up the new cables with how the old ones were plugged in. One thing to check is if the PSU will have a PCIe power connector, preferable a 6+2 (total of 8 pin) one.

I'm pretty sure the PSU will have only a 6 pin PCIe power connector, which will be fine for a GTX 1650 Super (150-175 USD) however if you want the next size of up of GPU like the GTX 1660 Super (220-250 USD) you will either need to try and see if the card will run with just the 6 pin plugged into the 8 pin connector ( some will some wont) or buy a 6pin-8pin adapter cable.

These cables can be sketchy, so if you do buy one don't just buy the cheapest one you come across, take the time to read the reviews. Startech has a decent one for around 8 USD.

I would not go with any more powerful card with an HP PSU, and I would use a high draw card such as a RX580 or 590. The 1660 Super draws at most 130 watts, so that's a fairly safe margin of error for less then stellar PSU's

Solution
I will also suggest if you are trying to game wit this machine, if the RAM is only a single stick, which I bet it is, go out and buy something like this

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/D6RFf7/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8gvkb

Ryzen CPUs do much better with fast dual channel memory. Don't just try and buy another stick and add it to your system. Most likely you will have compatibility issue and at the very least the RAM that came with you machine is probably 2400 or 2666 at most, which again is not great for Ryzen.