[SOLVED] What M2 SSD would you recommend?

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
Solution
You are right about that. It IS faster than a HDD. But it's about four times slower than the NVME version would have been. At least you got a good model in the 860 EVO.
The second and third ones you have listed are SATA M.2 drives. That means they are no faster than any standard SATA SSD. Of those three, only the first is worthwhile if you are after a speed increase at all.

As for the first one, it's much slower than many of the competitors, but it's also a lot cheaper. I'd look at reviews to see if that unit has problems with heat throttling. My guess is, it does.

I'd recommend, over all others, the Samsung 970 EVO or 970 EVO Plus.

Reactions: Ley

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
So, based on the Tom's hardware review, that unit doesn't seem to be a very good performer and likely may have longevity problems due to the use of QLC NAND. For the price, it's probably an ok tradeoff.

Thanks for your reply.
I've bought a 1TB SATA SSD, the 860 QVO. I've never had one before, never tried a PC with one either, so I'll take anything that's faster than my old HDD.

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
You are right about that. It IS faster than a HDD. But it's about four times slower than the NVME version would have been. At least you got a good model in the 860 EVO.

I still have an NVME slot, so I'll get one later on for sure :)
About the one I've got, the 860 QVO (not EVO), how is it? How faster is it compared to my current HDD?