Question what makes a laptop need a hard reset/power drain?

berbes

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
my client has used this 'trick' to make her laptop work after not being able to start, but, now it won't work? I always thought the point of this procedure was to drain all capacitors, etc. on the MB, does this mean she might be looking at a MB replacement now?

what usually makes a laptop need a hard reset/power drain?
thanks!
berbes

Lutfij

Titan
If the laptop is operating in an environment whereby there are no grounds(on the wall socket or the laptop isn't discharged then you have a build up of static. You might want to see if the reseating of ram(s) changes the laptop's behavior.

Speaking of laptop, what is the make and model of the unit and the SKU?

If you have to "trick" it, there is something wrong with the machine to begin with. That's NOT NORMAL if ur asking.

Replace Motherboard? laptops are not like desktops where u can pop into the store and buy another one, so this will be a DIY exercise if you can find out used, 'cuz buying one directly from the vendor will cost you as much as a new laptop.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
my client has used this 'trick' to make her laptop work after not being able to start
When you say it didn't start in the past, do you mean absolutely nothing happened, or that some lights or fans or whatever may turn on but no display?

'Hard reset' could work to clear the CMOS/reset the BIOS to defaults, which can sometimes resolve certain issues.

Last edited:

berbes

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
hi. sorry i didn't communicate my question well. the client's pc would not start, no power at all. then they used that technique. i've used this technique many times (take out battery, take out CMOS battery, hold power button up to 30 secs at a time for a few times) to start a laptop that just won't start. that's what this client has done a few times in the past to allow it to start, but now the laptop won't start and this technique no longer works for them. i'm thinking it might be RAM or MB needing the replacement at this very early point.

hi lutfij. all i know so far is it's a lenovo laptop. they'll be dropping it off today/tomorrow.

thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts