[SOLVED] What makes a Windows 10 activate or not on different hardware?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I noticed that sometimes I replace the motherboard on a PC and Windows 10 eventually activates. Other times it happens too when we replace the Hard Drive. My doubt is: what hardware is used to make it activate or not? :unsure:

Solution
All the components on system (motherboard, GPU, storage) participate in a "signature" of that system. If that signature changes enough, it will trigger activation.

Most probably, before you swapped this HDD, there were other "minor" changes, and HDD swap was the drop which triggered "major" change.
All the components on system (motherboard, GPU, storage) participate in a "signature" of that system. If that signature changes enough, it will trigger activation.

Most probably, before you swapped this HDD, there were other "minor" changes, and HDD swap was the drop which triggered "major" change.

Reactions: Rodion15
Solution

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks a lot, nice answer.