[SOLVED] What makes my PC instantly power off?

Mar 14, 2020
Dear all

I upgraded my ram, GPU and PSU some months back and since then these crashes have slowly progressed and are now making some games crash after a random amount of time. When I play demanding games, especially during Far Cry 5, the screen suddenly goes dark and I can hear the PSU shuts off with its ‘click’. Then it powers back on and Windows boots up again. I played a lot of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare right after installing the parts as it came bundled with the GPU and it worked great with max settings some months but now that also causes a crash after some time. When playing either games the CPU temps max out at 70C and are usually between 50-70C.

In Prime95 when choosing small FFTs it crashes nearly instantly with either of the XMP profiles turned on, and with XMP off it occasionally crashes after some time but mostly doesn’t. The other profiles in Prime95 seemingly run without problems. During the small FFTs test in Prime95 with XMP on in BIOS the CPU temps instantly go to 100C in HWMonitor and the use in wattage goes to 168. With XMP off it goes to around 80C and then settles on 60C and the wattage doesn’t go nearly as high. I’m thinking it has to do with the power supply to the CPU but I hope someone here can guide me from here. I don’t have a spare motherboard I can try out unfortunately.

Ran FurMark graphics + CPU burner test without problems.
Also tried Userbenchmark and it showed that my hardware was performing admirably: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25437581

After having read around some forums I’ve tried the following so far without any success:
Formatted C-drive and reinstalled Win10
Reverted BIOS to version 2602 and back to 2603
Tried the different XMP settings in BIOS
Switched out ram stick with my previous ones
Switched out the PSU with the previous one

I hope someone here can help guide me in the right direction =)

System specs:
Intel I7 8700 with be quiet! Dark Rock 4 cooler
ASUS Rog Strix RTX 2070 Super
Kingston HyperX FURY RGB DDR4-3200 C16 DC – 2x8GB
Asus B360M-A Rev X.0x motherboard with BIOS version 2603
Corsair RM750X v2 PSU
512GB Samsung 970 PRO M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x 4 (MZ-V7P512BW)
Windows 10.0.18363

Solution
Try and power the RTX 2070 with two cables,not just two connectors from one cable. See if this helps.

The psu shutting down means a protection is kicking in so might be something in your system or the new psu is just not working right and yes even a good psu like that one can be like that. Just bad luck and need for rma.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Try and power the RTX 2070 with two cables,not just two connectors from one cable. See if this helps.

The psu shutting down means a protection is kicking in so might be something in your system or the new psu is just not working right and yes even a good psu like that one can be like that. Just bad luck and need for rma.

Solution