What makes one DDR2 memory better than another

reddragon0000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I am curious. If I have 8gigs of memory in my HP(came standard with my computer from store), they are DDR2 800's, would buying say Corsair DDR2 800's make my computer any better? :heink:

For one Corsair is not a chipmaker. Corsair is a 'front' name or marketing 'name' of a company who sells a lot of RAM and PSU's. Corsiar buys their chips from some of the top chipmakers including Micron. Crucial is the front name for Micron, Inc. So to answer yoiur question. No, not necessarily.

reddragon0000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The ones in my computer are Samsung PC2 6400 DDR2 800, and the Corsairs I have sitting in my closet are PC2 6400 DDR2 800. I don't think I would see a difference in computer performance replacing the Samsungs

Corsair uses a lot of different chipmakers. Their valuse RAM is likely from the chipmaker who offers the best deal (cheap). Do a little research and see if you can find out what 'chip' maker made your Corsair DIMMs. gotta run.

clintox

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
No, not unless the ram modules that came with your computer are defective or having errors. Both your ram and "new" Corsair ram will be running at the same frequency.

It's only if you overclock your system will this make any difference. For example, the ram that came with your computer may not be able to run at higher frequencies or receive a higher voltages without errors or damage.

Higher quality ram will enable you to push your hardware further. Don't waste your money.